Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:48 PM   #1

How are these two "kit" lenses for shooting low light conditions and fast action sports used with the Nikon D50 body?

Before anyone replies - yes - I know - there are probably better lenses for LL and sports - but I am asking - how well do they do for what you are paying ?

sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:54 AM   #2

From the wording of your question I think you must have already divined the answer; small apertures do not gel with low light and fast action unless you push the ISO so high you will see more grain than photo.

The new 18/200 gives light at the end of the tunnel in that it has VRII technology enabling you to shoot at in such conditions with a gain of about four stops. To specifically answer your question, I have the 18/70 and other older lenses with restricted aperture but at the same time have the 17/55 f2.8 and the 70/200 f2.8 and these were bought expressly for action and low light. They aren't in the same budget though and for most people I feel that the 18/200 is a worthy buy especially since this will replace both the lenses in question and with no lens changes required avoid the dreaded dust problem.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:46 AM   #3

The 18-200 will not stop action any better than the kit lenses. VR does help in telephoto shots and in low light static (subject not moving)situations, but the only way to freeze action is with faster shutter speeds. The minimum aperature for the 18-200 vr is no bigger than the kit lenses...thus it does not allow in any more light at its widest setting. The only way to get the faster shutter speeds is to use higher ISO's. Images shot at high iso's do clean up nicely with noise reduction software, either neat image or noise ninja.

These lenses can be used with at 1600 iso's if the lighting allows shutter speeds of 1/250 or better at the widest aperature. If not, there's not a whole lot you can do. You could always get the 50 f/1.8. You won't have zoom, but you should be able to get enough light to allow faster shutter speeds. This lens is inexpensive too, at under $100USD used. YOu could also use flash if it is allowed in the gym that you are shooting in. If you are outdoors, the kit lenses should work just fine. Remember you need a shutter speed of at least 1/250th (preferably 1/500) or better to freeze action.

There are zooms that start at f/2.8, but they are very expensive

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:23 AM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
There are zooms that start at f/2.8, but they are very expensive

That been my delima, and many others, with getting into the DSLR world. I think the D50 is a great buy - but my budget just won't allow me to buy the lenses I would really want for it. I like to shoot indoor wrestling in the winter months. I think it is one of the most difficult to capture due to high school lighting and sudden movements - which would tell me that I need the best lenses to be satisfied with my shots.

Does anyone see the price of lenses coming down as more consumers jump "back into" SLR phtography. My guess is - probably not. But maybe these "digital" only slr lenses will become cheaper to make than the 35mm SLR lenses if companies like canon and nikon get more demand for them.

Old Mar 6, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

I wouldn't expect lens prices to suddenly drop. Lenses hold value very well. If anything, they'll get more expensive as demand increases.

Again, take a look at bright prime (single focal length, non zoom) lenses. The 50mm is under $100 used, and you could get an 85 f/1.8 for $300 used. The 85 provides moderate tele with wide minimum aperature.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:35 PM   #6

I had the Nikon 55-200 on my D50 the other day, a duck flew past and i snapped it, i didn't actually think that i caught in in the autofocus - anyway, i did, pretty sharp result. i was in sports mode and shot at 1/1600 and f6.3

I don't know what the ISO was as my software does not appear to read ISO value.

It was a bright clear day, I don't know what low light shooting would give since I have only recently got the camera
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:50 PM   #7
rey

Quote:
Does anyone see the price of lenses coming down as more consumers jump "back into" SLR phtography. My guess is - probably not. But maybe these "digital" only slr lenses will become cheaper to make than the 35mm SLR lenses if companies like canon and nikon get more demand for them.
The problem is, even todays lenses are made of glass and mechanical parts, not silicon chips and PCB boards! So rjseeney is right, expect the camera body to drop in prices, but len prices could possibly go up as demands increase.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:52 PM   #8

Well this reviewer didn't seem to like the 18-55 lens that well. see pics regarding sharpness.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...Nikon_d50.html

Yet Ken Rockwell didn't see any problems with the 18-55 here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm

SO - I'm left guessing.

Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:19 PM   #9

Don't worry about the kit lens. It is a good value. Sure its not top of the line, but even pro lenses have some issues, especially zooms. Most of the issues regarding sharpness are not even noticeable unless viewed at very large sizes. For typical print sizes (up to 8x10), the lens will do just fine. Any visible sharpness issues are probably a result of poor post processing (most DSLR images tend to be a bit soft right out of camera...they let the photographer choose sharpness in post work) or focus problems. The link that you provide shows 100% crops.....that is like viewing a print over 3 feet long. Trust me, you won't notice at normal print sizes.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #10

I am also wanting to use my D50 at baseball games. I am having alot of problems with my shots. They are coming out very blurry, I am using my old Sigma lenses from Nikon film N65. Should I purchase a new digital lens? Also I need something with zoom to catch the action. Please help!
vollady is offline   Reply With Quote