Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:49 AM   #1

I am looking at buying the Nikon D200, which has a DX sensor.

I am going buy professional grade lenses for future use beyond this body.

This is where the questions arise. Nikon has begun to make lenses to maximize the DX sensors. I fear that eventually in the quest for higher pixels that Nikon will go to a full frame sensor. If this happens, will a DX lens work on a full frame sensor?

I am thinking of buying mostly (if not all) standard lenses of high quality in case Nikon eventually goes to a larger sensor size.

What are your thoughts? I know this sounds like a troll but it is not. Has anyone tried a DX lens on a standard full frame film camera to see what the result is?

I thank you in advance.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:57 AM   #2

Nikon has no current plans to produce a camera with a full frame sensor. That's not to say it won't happen in the future. I don't think the APS sized sensor is going anywhere. Canon is the only company making a full frame DSLR, and until the sensor fabrication can be cheaply and effectively, I don't see these cameras being cheap. APS sized sensors do the job very well and are easier to manufacture...surethey will inherently have more noise, but it is being controlled very well by the current crop of cameras and will only improve. Nikon continues to introduce new lenses, and even if they do produce a full frame camera, they will continue to produce APS sized sensor cameras.

Of course, you can still feel free to buy and use lenses designed for 35 mm SLRS. They do work, and because the image area in currrent DSLRS is smaller, you are only using the sweet spot of the lens and they are less prone to light fall off and vignetting. Because of the crop factor, you do lose the wider end of the zoom ranges. If you use a DX lens on a Film slr (or full frame camera) you will get a rounded image (vignetting) because the lens was designed for the smaller sized sensors.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:46 AM   #3

Is that the main reason Nikon is not bringing to market a full size 35mm sensor - price ?

If that is the case - it seems it will only be a matter of time.

sportster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:37 PM   #4

From what I understand, Nikon doesn't feel like it is neccessary. Nikon would not be terribly concerned about price...their top of the line stuff is as pricey as it gets. If they felt there was a need, then they probably would have released or be in the process of releasing a Full Frame body. Aside from lack of really wide angle lenses, I don't know that there is really a need either for full frame sensors.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:10 PM   #5
rey

rjseeney

Does DX lens have smaller glass than non-DX lens?

Nikon also do not make their own CCD sensors, Sony does. I don't know if Sony has any plans of making a FF CCD, as it would cost a lot more. Canon uses CMOS, and I would think it costs a lot less to make a FF CMOS sensor than it does a FF CCD sensor. Of course, Canon's 5D is not cheap either, and I'd take the D200 over it if I'm in that price range.

Check out Rockwell's take on this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dx.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:10 PM   #6

I'm not sure about the "size" of the glass. I do know that because of the smaller sensor, the DX lenses are smaller and lighter weight than their non DX cousins, so i guess that means the glass is smaller too. I'm aware that Sony makes Nikon's sensors...Nikon is a big enough buyer that if they wanted a full frame sensor, sony or somebody would be willing to make it.

I'm aware of Mr. Rockwell's views on this, and for the most part, as I stated earlier in this post, I agree with him.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:23 PM   #7
rey

rjseeney
Sorry, I didn't mean to address the entire post directly to you, just the question about the size of DX lens. I also think it is smaller, so does that mean we're more likely to see the edge issues on DX lens, and therefore it would be better to get a non-DX version, if available for that focal range?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:17 PM   #8

Yes and no. Dx lenses have better coatings and are able to handle issues like chromatic aberration better. Most do suffer some falloff, and corner softness and even vignetting especially at wider angles. The SLR lenses don't suffer from as much falloff or softness because you're using the sweet spot of the lens. However, they are more prone to CA.

Like everything else, its a trade off. If I had to choose, I'd go DX...they are smaller and optimized for digital use. If I still shot alot of film, I'd probably go the other way.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:55 PM   #9

Thanks for your input on this.

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote