Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

Looking at either a 50mm f/1.8 or a 85 f/1.8 and don't know which to purchase as both have been talked about a lot on this site. Would hate to purchase one or the other and then which i hadn't. The lens would be mainly used at basketball games.

Any help is greatly apprecaited!
Aaron Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:35 AM   #2

If you could get both, problem solved . However, the answer depends on how close you can get to the action. If you can get close you may find the 85 too long (its equivalent focal length is (127mm). Really, the 50 is such a good lens, for an inexpensive price, and should be in every photographers bag.I would start with the 50mm, see how it works, and if its too short, save your pennies for the 85.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:27 AM   #3

Thanks. The 50mm would be a good start like you said and the price is right. Any expericece how the 85mm works? Would I have to be up against the wall (behind the basket) to shoot people in the paint? Or sitting on the first row?:?Just how close will I have to be with the 50mm compared to the 85mm to get great shots?

I don't want to seem like I'm beating a dead horse but I just want to make the best purcahse a not just have another anhor in my camera bag if you know what I mean.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4

What lens(es) do you alredy own?
You could take your current camera gear to a basketball match and see what is the optimal focal length,
If the view is okay when zoomed to ~50mm then buy it and if you found it too short buy the 85mm.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:43 AM   #5

Right on! That's a great idea. I've got a 80-200mm f/2.8 I'll do just that see if the 80mm is too much and go from there. Thanks again.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:43 PM   #6

I don't shoot much basketball...just my young kids in youth leagues. I sit at center court about 10 ft from the court. Sitting at center court, I can nearly fill the frame with 2 players at the foul line using the 50.

Unless your in a big gym and sitting way up in the stands, the 50 should be ok. It'd still be nice to have both :G
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote