Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:11 PM   #1

Hi guys i'm new here. Great website with loads of info! The Nikon/ Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 is way beyond my budget for now , so i wanted to know which of my lens would be good enough? I have the Nikon D70. I have the following lens Nikon 70-300mm, 100mm 3.5 Vivitar Macro, 90mm 2.5 Tamron Macro, Nikon 24-120mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR AFS, Nikon 55mm 3.5 Macro, Nikon 70-210mm D lens, Nikon 18-70mm 3.5(kit lens), Ziess 135mm 3.5 and Nikon 50mm 1.8. Out of all of these which two or three would be good enough? or other lens recomm.

Thanks!
Actorlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:27 PM   #2

The tamron 90 f/2.5 is your fastest lens...the others may work, but shooting the tamron wide open will give you the fastest shutter speeds to allow you to stop action. Why not take a look at the 50 f1.8, or if you need a bit more reach get the 85 f 1.8. You really need the extra light gathering ability of these wider f-stops to give yourself a better chance at success. The 50 can be had for under $100 used, and the 85 for $300-400 used. You could even trade some of your other lenses, as you have several lenses that duplicate focal lengths. You could easily lose 4 of those lenses, keeping just the 18-70, 24-120vr, 70-300, and the 90mm macro. Trade the others, and put it towards the both the 50 and 85 to use for low light purposes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 2:50 PM   #3

Thanksrjseeney! If i get the 85mm 1.8 and my 50mm 1.8 lens can it work with the Kenko 1.4 converter? Meaning sharp pics? Maybe this MF lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&sku=61424Thanks again!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:11 AM   #4

I'm not a big fan of teleconverters. I've never gotten great results with teleconverters, and since you lose a little over a stop of light with the 1.4x, you negate the advantage of your fast primes. I find zooms to give better results and more flexibility. If you absolutely need a teleconverter, stick with Nikon...the inexpensive tele's like the one you mention just don't work well. The Nikons aren't bad, but are pricey. Again, I think you're better off with a zoom either way.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the info i'll try my 50mm 1.8. Instead of making another thread i wanted to ask what are the diffence between these two lens as they are both Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 and both ED and the only thing i see is that the design is different. Is one sharper than the other?

Thanks in advance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...rlife/e7_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...life/55_12.jpg
Old Mar 21, 2006, 5:03 PM   #6

They're both 80-200 ED f/2.8D lenses.

The one on top is the older version, it's a one-ring push-pull zoom. You use the same ring for focusing and zooming.

The one at the bottom is the newer two-ring version. You use a different ring for zooming from the one you use for focusing (like most zoom lenses). It also comes with a tripod mount (though beware if you buy used, as sometimes the tripod mount is not included).

Both lenses are considered excellent optically, most would also agree that there is little if any difference in the optical qualities between the two lenses. However, the newer two-ring version is considered a much faster focusing lens than the older one.

If you're looking at an 80-200 ED f/2.8 lens, you might also come across the first AF version, which is a push-pull that looks almost like the one on top, but that does not have the D-chip built in. You might also come across the much more expensive AF-S 80-200 ED f/2.8D lens, which comes with AF-S (as the name implies), and is also a two-ring design. This latter version tends to be much more expensive than the other ones (the two push-pull versions tend to sell for similar amounts, with the two-ring version a bit more expensive, and the AF-S version much more expensive).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:58 PM   #7

Thanks thebac! Hpefully i can find a used one for a decent price. This lens buying is getting out of hand!
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:10 PM   #8

First of all Thank you to you all you who gave me great input. Well i made my choice. This is a sharp Sigma 70-210mm 2.8 APO lens. Got it on the bay for less than $400.00. Though not as heavy as i thought it would be, but not lite either. 2 rings (separate zoom and manual focus like the Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 ED D). AF is very fast and not that noisy just like my Nikon 70-210 4-5.6 D. Included is a hood, removable tripod collar, nice leather like case and strap. The glass is flawless and lens is in great A- condition. So far i think i got a great deal. Can't wait to start shooting some concerts, sports and nature. My next lens will be the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 XR.

All pictures taken with my Fuji E550.