Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 22, 2006, 3:27 PM   #1
rey

So I'm filling out my NIkon warranty cards, and I noticed that Nikon's 5 yeay warranty is actually 1 year with a 4 year extended warranty.

The 4 year extended warranty card should be mailed out 10 days after buying the product. My question is, if you buy it online and you got the camera 11 days after you bought it, what date should you put on the warranty card? Should I be honest and put the purchase date, therefore possibly losing the warranty since it's more than 10 days. Or should I put the date I received the package, in which case, the extended warranty has not past it's 10 days?

What did you guys do?

Also, I've been told before that if you live in California, you do not need to send out warranty cards. Is this true? I know it's true for my hard drive. I bought one and three years later it broke, I contacted Western Digital and said it was under warranty even though I never mailed-in the warranty card. They replaced the the drive without hassle.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2006, 5:18 PM   #2

Since no one else answeredI will tell you that I put the date I received the lens...but they ask for proof of purcase when you ask for service,so I really think when push comes to shove...it will be the date on the sales slip.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:30 PM   #3

What happens when you register online?
MrDagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 7:51 PM   #4

It seems to me that the extended warranty can not be done on line... the 1 yr warranty can but I do not think the extended can.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:38 PM   #5
rey

So I used the old saying: "When in doubt, do the right thing." I went ahead and put the sales date. If they don't take it, in the future, then I'll raise hell.

I think the one year warranty is automatic, as it should be. The online thing is to register the product, not the warranty. I think it's more of a marketing research, since the site was generic and services other companies, not just Nikon.

Either way, I couldn't have registered it on time, since the ground shipping pretty much ate up the 10 day period.

I'm more worried about the fact that I've read Nikon service site for the West Coast (in Torrance, CA) are worst than the ones for the East Coast.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote