Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2006, 8:05 PM   #11

@zygh:
in the US, that would not be considered a good deal, but I'm not sure what prices are like in Romania. In the US, you can get the D50 with 18-55 for less than $600 from reputable dealers.

@genece:
can you share your experiences with the Sigma when you get it, especially with regard to birds in flight? I'm quite curious myself how slow it actually is. I've seen other people post sample "action" shots, but they weren't the type of shots I would actually take.
Thanks.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:20 AM   #12

thebac wrote:
Quote:
@zygh:
in the US, that would not be considered a good deal, but I'm not sure what prices are like in Romania. In the US, you can get the D50 with 18-55 for less than $600 from reputable dealers.

@genece:
can you share your experiences with the Sigma when you get it, especially with regard to birds in flight? I'm quite curious myself how slow it actually is. I've seen other people post sample "action" shots, but they weren't the type of shots I would actually take.
Thanks.
I have no problem taking pictures of bird in flight with Nikkor 80-400VR and D50. When I said slow focusing I mean it took too long to go from short distance to far away object. D50 has superb mode A which will automatically switch from single focus to continuous focus. D200 does not have that, I have to do it manually.

I feel D50 struggle to move from 3m to infinity while D200 will do it rapidly without strain.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:09 AM   #13

Hi ruchai,

thanks for your prompt reply.

However, I'm more concerned with smaller, faster-moving birds. Your picture, although very nice, is a much larger, probably slower-moving bird than I try to capture (I'm thinking of duck-size birds, primarily ducks).
Old Mar 27, 2006, 6:33 PM   #14

I will be happy to report on the lens when I get one.....I have only found one vendor with the lens and they claim they are the new DG lens ,but if thats so why do other stores not have them. Or at least have a waiting list?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:59 PM   #15

thebac wrote:
Quote:
Hi ruchai,

thanks for your prompt reply.

However, I'm more concerned with smaller, faster-moving birds. Your picture, although very nice, is a much larger, probably slower-moving bird than I try to capture (I'm thinking of duck-size birds, primarily ducks).
WithNikkor80-400VR and D50 you will have no problem shooting flying ducks. It's auto focus tracing mode will keep flying birds in focus while you pan your D50. I took this picture with D50 + Nikkor 80-400VR. It so easy you often felt you were cheating.

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:11 AM   #16

good shot, ruchai!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:14 AM   #17

when u find out pls let me know...the 80-400 will retire my fz20 and enable to get serious about the d50

Randy
rimland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:20 PM   #18

genece,

if you haven't bought the 80-400 yet, have you considered the Sigma 100-300 f/4?

I decided to go that route instead, as I'm not even sure if I could handhold a 400mm lens very well, OS/VR or not.

So far (one weekend), I'm quite happy with it. Its IQ is not quite on the same level as the 80-200 ED f/2.8, but the AF is just so much faster, and it's still plenty sharp. It's a little heavier than the 80-200, but still handholdable IMO (my left arm does really feel the weight after an hour or so, though).

I've posted some shots I've taken with this lens in the wildlife forum if you're interested.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:38 PM   #19

you may well have a point about handholding ....I will soon find out as I ordered the Sigma 80 to 400 os a bit ago.....Canoga camera said they have it in stock so we will soon find out. I missed the 2 O'clock deadline so I have to wait till tomorrow to see if it ships.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:01 AM   #20

genece wrote:
Quote:
you may well have a point about handholding ....I will soon find out as I ordered the Sigma 80 to 400 os a bit ago.....Canoga camera said they have it in stock so we will soon find out. I missed the 2 O'clock deadline so I have to wait till tomorrow to see if it ships.
I hand hold Nikkokr 80-400VR with my D50 and D200 for birds for more than 8,000 shots without any problem. The VR works very well, focussing with D50 is a bit slow but with the D200 focussing is fast and I am very happy with the performance.

Photo taken with: Nikon D50 + Nikkor 80-400VR, hand held. All my pictures shown in this threadwere hand held.

Attached Images