Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:54 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a wide angle lens for my d50 but don't know where to start, their seems to be so many available to choose from.

I would like to keep costs down so could anyone reccomend a low budget lens that is half decent.

Many thanks!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:24 AM   #2

I`d stay clear of the cheap wide angle lenses advertised on Ebay, just have a look at this link, these seem to be most popular

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digi...comparison.htm

some more reviews, a little dated though

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

you may pick up a good secondhand bargain, I don`t know where you live in the world

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx (USA)

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm (UK)

I have dealt with fordes, good customer service, fast delivery

sorry I can`t be more specific,I`m new to my D50 and all these add on lenses, but I`ve read reviews til my head hurts :G,personally I am looking to buy the Tokina 12-24in the future.

TD

try posting this question in the Nikon lenses forum for a better response

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:11 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice TD!

After looking at the reviews i think im going to plump for the Tokina, i cant wait to get my gruby little hands on it, after a bit of saving!

If you should decide to get one drop me a pm and let me know what you think and the price you paid, id be interested to see how you get on. Ill do the same if i should get one earlier than expected.

Many thanks

L1
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:39 PM   #4

Just found this Longside ,scroll down and theres some links to pics with the Tokina 12-24, hope to get mine in the next month or so.Post some pics if you get yours sooner

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp.../cat/33/page/1

TD
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:28 PM   #5

TD-

I have the Nikkor 12-24mm which has the excellent build quality for which Nikkor lens are famous. Thatwas before the Tokina 12-24mm became available.The Nikkordoes an excellent job IMHO.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

Well, the Nikkor is hardly a budget lens, given that it's the most expensive among the ultrawides.

Even the Tokina is hardly a budget lens, it is relatively inexpensive only compared to the much more expensive Nikkor. Also, you don't have to sacrifice in build quality with a Tokina, either.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:00 AM   #7

Many thanks for all your help TD, as i'm new to photography its really appreciated. To br honest, looking at some of the shots at yosemite on the link you sent me just sold it. Im gonna buy one at the weekend!

Ill keep you posted!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:14 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TD-

I have the Nikkor 12-24mm which has the excellent build quality for which Nikkor lens are famous. Thatwas before the Tokina 12-24mm became available.The Nikkordoes an excellent job IMHO.

MT

I believe you that the Nikkor is a great Lens MT, I value your advice and Knowledge.

I think at the moment cost is an issue for me as with most people.In the UK the Tokina lens is half the price of the Nikkor and they seem to be neck and neck in the reviews.I considered the Sigma 10-20 but build qualityand a1 year warranty is not very convincing.

Not everybody can afford to go out and buy the latest Nikkor lenses,I think the Tokina lens will fit most peoples criteria i.e. me, with mouths to feed,bills to pay ,and on a limited budget.

Any purchase I make I have to be sure,(the D50 on its own was a major purchase for me).I read every review I can find.

I give everything a chance and not rubbish it because its not Nikon glass.

If I could afford it I`d buy Nikkor lenses everytime.

Longside, all those sample pics will have been taken using a tripod.

Those Yosemite pics sold me aswell

TD

Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:50 AM   #9

Hey Guys-

Please cut me a little slack or leeway. I said that there was no other alternative lens to the Nikkor 12-24mm when I purchased it.

I don't like huge lens prices either. However, I had a well paying contract that required ultra wide photos, so I bit the bullet and purchased it. Since then I have managed to use it a great deal.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:01 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hey Guys-

Please cut me a little slack or leeway. I said that there was no other alternative lens to the Nikkor 12-24mm when I purchased it.

I don't like huge lens prices either. However, I had a well paying contract that required ultra wide photos, so I bit the bullet and purchased it. Since then I have managed to use ity a great deal.

MT

Forgive meMT , my post was my point of view.It was no way aimed at you.I`ll have to start reading my posts through before I click on send :O

TD