Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:20 PM   #11

do you know wether this lens has some kind of vibration reduction/image stabilization?

could you recommend some affordable tele lenses to fit the nikon d50?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:04 PM   #12
rey

zygh

You can check out Nikon's website for list of VR lenses, here's the US site, your country might have a similar site.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:12 AM   #13

I enjoy this lens and use it quite alot when generally walking around, especially if I know I may want to zoom in (wildlife, at a park etc). Ok its not as sharp as my 50mm prime, or even my 18-55 kit lens, but it is quite compact and has great reach. AF takes a while and misses sometimes, but I picked this up cheap (for about £50) and have had some good usage out of it.

Heres an ellie I shot with it:

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:28 AM   #14

audioedge, where did you buy it from? can you post a link?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:50 AM   #15

bought mine from ebay... well worth 50 quid
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:28 PM   #16

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
bought mine from ebay... well worth 50 quid

you bet! now they're selling them for 340 bucks apiece. i reckon that's well over 50 quid.

cheers!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:11 PM   #17

I managed to win one on E-Bay for $276. That is a long way from 50 quid! and it was not a great deal of savings off of the retail price. When I get the lens in about a week to 10 days, I will post some sample photos for you.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:42 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I managed to win one on E-Bay for $276. That is a long way from 50 quid! and it was not a great deal of savings off of the retail price. When I get the lens in about a week to 10 days, I will post some sample photos for you.

MT
when i first checked out the lens and posted this thread, there was a seller on ebay (cordcamera, if i can remeber right) that sold this lens for about 150$. they still have them selling, only none for the nikon mount. i'm not exactly sure what that was all about but now the only tamrons 28-300 they have at that price are pentax/canon/minolta mounts. still, 50quid is something less than 100 bucks, if i'm not mistaking. boy, that's a good deal, i'll say! perhaps the seller was high when he/she posted that auction. anyway...

mtclimber, when you finally get the lens, would you be so kind as to post some pics made with itin low light environments? that would help alot. much better, i reckon, than other pics made in clear blue skies sundays or something of the sorts. :roll:

Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:00 PM   #19

Zygh-

Yes, I will be happy to provide low light level photos WHEN I receive the lens. BTWI checked Cord Camera. They have over300 items listed on E-Bay but no Tamron 28-300mm XR lenses. In fact there is not a single Tamron 28-300mm XR listed by anyone right now on E-Bay.com.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:50 AM   #20
Administrator

zygh wrote:
Quote:
when i first checked out the lens and posted this thread, there was a seller on ebay (cordcamera, if i can remeber right) that sold this lens for about 150$.
Cord Camera is a *very* reputable vendor. They've also got a brick and mortar store locations in Indiana and Ohio.

But, this lens is selling for around $399 in their stores, so it's unlikely they'd be selling them for *that* much lessthan retail on Ebay (although they have been known to have some good deals). $150 is a bit low for this lens.

Perhaps you were looking at a starting bid price (versus completed listings)?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote