Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:42 AM   #1

Hi. I've been reading this forum and I am now putting together the lenses I'll want for my D50. I just recently purchased the 18-70mm, and now I'm looking for something to cover the telephoto and (hopefully) the macro areas.

The Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro seems to be a highly regarded value lense here. The "macro" mode gets down to a 2:1 magnification. I assume that this is on 35mm film, so wouldn't this be a greater magnification on the smaller D50 sensor?

Most reviews say that the Sigma is soft at over 200mm, as are most 300mm zooms. Would I be better off finding a good 200mm telephoto zoom (I don't know of any with a good macro), or would a close-up lense attached to a good telephoto be a potent combination? Example pictures would be great!

Thanks
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2
NHL

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
Example pictures would be great!
FYI - http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=79
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the picture. I didn't know Sigma made SLR cameras, too.

Can anyone recommend a decent $150 telephoto lense with macro?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:53 AM   #4

Being pedantic the sigma 70-300 gives 1:2 macro. The difference being that with 1:2 the smallest subject is twice the size of the sensor with 2:1it's 1/2 the size of the sensor.

Took me quite a while to get my head around the reproduction ratio with digital sensors. It's still 1:2 whether it's film or digital but as the sensor is smaller then the size of the subject is smaller. In practical terms this does mean that for any given size of print the magnificationis greater with digital, provided there is sufficient detail in the file (or negative).
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:04 PM   #5

Woah, so does that mean that the Sigma (at 1:2) will magnify greater than a normal macro lense (at 1:1)? I understand that the image quality won't be near as good, but that is impressive!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:24 AM   #6

Just the opposite it's a 1:2 lens. so you get 1/2 the magnification you would get with a 1:1 lens.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote