Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 13, 2006, 2:52 AM   #51

I decided to sell my Nikon 55-200 and buy a 18-200mm instead. Even the local reseller says that Sigma is better (also cheaper than Tamron). As I am planning to get from abroad, there wouldn't be much difference in price. So, which one I should buy? Tamron or Sigma. I never used a Sigma lens before. I am pleased with my Tamron 24-70 and 100-300 lenses. Now need an alround lens for my D50. When I read in few other forums, I made up mind to go for Sigma. After reading this thread, I don't know what to do.. Please help!!
Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 3:10 AM   #52

Swedson, check out this link: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7524.

It's a direct comparison between the Sigma and the Tamron. I've posted this link before, maybe you've seen it already on other threads.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 3:54 PM   #53

I checked it already. That's why I thought Sigma is better. But I also see that many are supporting Tamron in this thread. When I called the shop, salesman said that Sigma looks and feels better than Tamron. Is that true?
Old May 13, 2006, 5:06 PM   #54

Well, I've never owned a Tamron 18-200mm and because of this I can't tell you whether it feels bettor or not then the Sigma. Also, I've never shot anything with the Tamron. Hudging from the comparison from that link, the Sigma is better.

From my own point of view, I can tell you that the Sigma feels, looks and performs absolutely great on my D50.

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2006, 10:42 PM   #55

I'm liking my Sigma 18-200mm very much. This weekend I shot a few photos for a friend at his wedding and used 2 Nikon D50s 1 was with the 18-200mm for outdoor shots and then I used the Nikon 18-70mm on the other D50 on the indoor shots since it needed a little less light.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 4:46 AM   #56

Not many days ago I received the Sigma 18-200. Even if I don't have much experience with lenses, comparing it with the Nikkor 18-55, the Sigma feels, looks and works better. I like it very very much. Now, I would go for that Sigma 10-20 and for that Nikkor 80-400VR. Those VR Nikkors sure are worth all the dough they charge.
Old May 15, 2006, 5:20 AM   #57

Here's a snapshot I just took outside my window with the Sigma 18-200.. Inbetween the camera and the subject it's the glass from my window. It's taken in shutter priority, focal length 200mm, F/6.3, 1/100 seconds, ISO400, maximum resolution. The sky was clouded. No post precessing, just resized in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2006, 10:25 AM   #58

When I checked the pictures from Sigma and Tamron, I could see that there is a slight loss of zoom in Sigma.(Or Tamron has got more than 200mm?) But I think it is not a big deal. Found one for 260USD in Ebay (including postage)and I think the price is OK. Glad to know that Sigma owners are happy with it.

I think Steve should review lenses as well. It would be much useful for the consumers. Hope to see Steves-digilenses.com. :-)
Old May 15, 2006, 11:57 AM   #59

Here is a picture I took this weekend with the Sigma 18-200mm outside just cropped down and resized.
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2006, 11:58 AM   #60

and here is what it looked like after a little bit of work (luckily my Photoshop skills are better than my photography skills).

Attached Images