Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 20, 2006, 7:49 PM   #61

quikster, how do you do that b&w with colour effect?? that is so cool!!
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 11:45 PM   #62

I'd seen that in Wedding books before and for a while I thought the same thing wow how the heck do they do that. Then I thought about it and felt like an idiot for not thinking of it sooner. I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it, but here is how I did:

All you do is use photoshop or some such similar program where you can create layers. you create the bottom layer black and white(grayscale) then you create a layer above it in color. I then erased all of the top layer except for what I wanted in color thus creating the effect you see.

wisely_foolish wrote:
Quote:
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:36 PM   #63

This is my first comparison. I just shot these this afternoon. The nikon lenses all have MC UV filters. The sigma doesn't yet have the filter...so that may explain why the sky is a bit faded out.http://www.speakeasy.org/~yeh/Sigma/Sigma.html
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:16 PM   #64
Administrator

Wowzer wrote:
Quote:
This is my first comparison. I just shot these this afternoon. The nikon lenses all have MC UV filters. The sigma doesn't yet have the filter...so that may explain why the sky is a bit faded out.http://www.speakeasy.org/~yeh/Sigma/Sigma.html
That's unlikely the reason you're seeing a difference.

If anything, a UV filter is more likely to degrade versus enhance image quality, although with a good filter and a hood, if there are no bright light sources in an imagemost wouldn't change anything at all shooting with digital. If there are bright light sources, they can sometimes cause problems though.

Chances are, the Nikkor just hasa bit better contrast compared to the Sigma, or the Sigma is just seeing a bit of contrast lossfrom flarewith the bright sky in the background.

I see you were using manual exposure for both with lenses (with roughly the same settings), with the photos taken very close together. Light could have changed a tad between shots, though, and you were using Auto White Balance which could also have impacted it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:52 PM   #65

I had to shoot with manual, as I wanted to keep the lenses at relatively the same settings. As I said, I'm not 100% sure what is the best way to test lenses and compare them.I do have other pictures show with program mode, which does change the aperature and shutter automatically.* I'll try to post them as well.How would you recommend testing/showcasing the lenses?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:00 PM   #66
Administrator

You're off to a good start. But, controlled conditions would be better for comparison purposes.

I'd try tomake sure you're taking the photo in identical lighting at the same settings (exposure and white balance) at the same time. But, often, that's not practical.

On the surface, the Nikkor looks better from what I can see from your comparisons so far (and I doubt it has anything to do with the filter, as UV filters tend to degrade rather than enhance performance with digital, because the built in hot mirror filters for reducing lR light also tend to filter UV rather well).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:59 PM   #67

I have the sigma 18-200 lense. It focuses slow and it's not really sharp, as I wanted.

I am going to sell it along with my other lenses, 70-300 sigma also, nikon d70 kit lense and buy me the 18-200 nikon lense.

thugia
thugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:27 AM   #68

Thanks quikster for the advice!! it works great!!!

Quikster wrote:
Quote:
I'd seen that in Wedding books before and for a while I thought the same thing wow how the heck do they do that. Then I thought about it and felt like an idiot for not thinking of it sooner. I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it, but here is how I did:

All you do is use photoshop or some such similar program where you can create layers. you create the bottom layer black and white(grayscale) then you create a layer above it in color. I then erased all of the top layer except for what I wanted in color thus creating the effect you see.

wisely_foolish wrote:
Quote:
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:34 PM   #69

I just did more testing with the Sigma 18-200 versus Nikon 18-55 and 55-200.* Some of the larger sized pictures couldn't load, as I've surpassed my ISP's storage...Where can a man get some extra storage gratis?* Man, what is wrong with this website? I can't get a carriage return to work.All my posts are in terrible shape...dont know how to fix it.This sentence was supposed to be on a separate line.* Who knows if it will work?**http://www.speakeasy.org/~yeh/Sigma2/Sigma2.html
Old Jun 16, 2006, 1:49 PM   #70

I use image shack for my free image hosting. make sure its imageshack.us and not the others with the same name.
Wowzer wrote:
Quote:
I just did more testing with the Sigma 18-200 versus Nikon 18-55 and 55-200.� Some of the larger sized pictures couldn't load, as I've surpassed my ISP's storage...Where can a man get some extra storage gratis?� Man, what is wrong with this website? I can't get a carriage return to work.All my posts are in terrible shape...dont know how to fix it.This sentence was supposed to be on a separate line.� Who knows if it will work?��http://www.speakeasy.org/~yeh/Sigma2/Sigma2.html
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote