Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1

Say I'm relatively broke, I can afford the D50 (in a month or 2 unless I sell my 5050 first). BUT I really like wide angle lenses, I noticed that like ALL of the lenses out there are 18mm at wide angle (And with the 1.5x multiplier its 27mm)

Is there anything not ridiculously expensive thats wider angle than that?

I've never owned a DSLR or even an SLR before so I'm not sure how lenses are compatible or not (For non Nikon ones) So i'm not even sure where to start looking.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:39 AM   #2

I`d say go for the TOKINA 12-24MM f/4.

It`s half the price of the NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4 and it`s just as good.

Here in Europe you`ll find it for about 400 euro.....you won`t find anything better for that price....just look in different forums and you`ll see that this is a very appreciated lens.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:50 PM   #3
rey

I hate to say this, but "Budget Wide-Angle" is an oxymoron.

The cheapest not-so-wide you can get is the 18-55 kit lens. The rest will set you back at least $470 to $500, that's for the Tokina 12-24mm and the Sigma 10-22. They're great lenses and worth the money, but it does cost as much as a D50 body!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:17 PM   #4

Ahh thanks, those examples were exactly what i was looking for.

Guess I should just plan for owning 2 lenses, since thats all I will be able to afford though!

Thanks for the help
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:23 PM   #5
rey

I forgot to include this:

You can read a lot about Nikon from Rockwell's site...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digi...comparison.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:32 AM   #6

WOW is there any tests he doesn't do?

But ya Tokina seems the best for me, as its the cheapest and only slightly worse (if you can call it worse) than the nikon.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:55 AM   #7

Well, there must have been a fire at the Tokina plant or something, because as of 4.13.2006, I can't find this lens anywhere online (for Nikons).

The only place I found was some Hong Kong black market site on Ebay. No thanks.

This really bums me out, because I've been spending the past couple months saving up for it, and now I'm ready.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:20 AM   #8

Ok Well This is pretty ridiculous for Canada, The cost of a single wide angle lens will run me more than the camera body. Done as much scouting around as i think possible, And Tokina runs for 700$, Nikon for 1400$ And if you can even find the other 2 they are usually in the 700+ range aswell..

Guess I have to give up on wide angle.

is there any Older prime or zoom lenses that could be an alternative? (Auto Focus and metering need not work, as long as I can mount it and take pics I can experiment)

I know because of the 1.5x focal multiplier even this might not be possible, But 18mm just isn't wide enough.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:56 AM   #9

The Sigma 10-20 is probably the cheapest of the modern wide angles.

The big problem is they all seem to be zooms. I have a 20mm lens from film days and would like an equivalent for the D50 but 14mm lenses made for film cameras are heavy and expensive. You may find a very old Nikkor around that focal length, or the later Sigma or Tamron versions.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:29 AM   #10

Don't give up on the wide-angle, friend! I just picked up my Tokina 12-24mm from a local store ($540 US, everywhere online is still backordered), and it is an incredibly fun lens. If I could only have one lens for my camera, it would definitely be a wide angle.

There are rumors that Nikon is going to make a wide-angle prime for digital in the coming months, but who knows. It'll probably end up being ~$500 anyways.

Here are just a couple quick handheld shots I made this weekend with the Tokina.

PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote