Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

Apologies in advance for the newb question ( I did do a search first :G). I have a almost 30 y/o Nikon FG on which I used both a 50mm F1.8 prime and a Tokina 80-200 zoom. Will either work on the D50? If so, in full manual mode only I presume.

Also, I have a similar vintage SB-18 flash unit. Any chance THAT will work? If so with what setting(s).

ebaY's loss might just be my gain.

Thanks all!
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:39 PM   #2

Depends on the age of the lenses. Non-AI lenses will not work on the D50. However, manual focus AI lenses will work in manual mode on the D50, and AI-P lenses will work in automatic modes as well. AF lenses should work just fine, though sometimes third-party lenses need to be re-chipped. If neither are AF lenses, though, they're probably not worth the trouble.

Your SB-18 will work only in manual mode (it has no auto setting). However, I'm not sure of its voltage, so I would avoid using it on a D50, unless you know better than I do.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:46 PM   #3

Well the 50mm prime reads simply as 'Nikon Lens Series E' and the Tokina as 'RMC Tokina 3.5-4.5'.

Also founda 'Tokina SD 28-70 3.5-4.5 zoom'.

Do these model numbers help at all? Thanks

Mike
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:46 AM   #4

Your 50mm is a manual focus lens--it will mount on the D50, but metering will have tp be manual.

The others, I can't tell from the model numbers, but unless it says AF/Autofocus on the lens, I'd assume that they are manual focus lenses. Given that they're not high-priced lenses, I'd buy new ones for the D50 (for example, a 50mm AF is just about $100 new).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote