Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 17, 2006, 3:57 PM   #1

I am going to be buying a Nikon D50 with a couple of lenses and have a few choices as too which lenses I get for a negligable difference in price.

1) Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX
or
2) Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF Zoom Nikkor

and then I have an option with both to get either:

1) Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor
or
2) Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens

Does anyone have any experience with any of these lense. I will be using these for general shots and a few events (i.e. Friends wedding, graduation, etc..)
Also, it is the same price for either of the 70-300mm lenses is one of these better than the other specifically, or is Sigma or Nikon generally better?

Thanks
Attached Images

Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:32 AM   #2

I own only the Nikon 70-300G, so my advice is based on what I've heard from others.

First, pick the 18-55. It's substantially wider and has a much more useable range. I understand that it's also considered better optically.I've seen places, if they offer both kits, sell the 28-80 kit for $100 less than the 18-55 kit.

The Sigma 70-300 APO version (make sure the lens description includes APO in it) is considered a superior lens to the Nikon 70-300G. In addition, the closest focusing distance on the Sigma is shorter allowing for nicer dragonfly shots and the like.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:34 AM   #3

Ok thanks I'll check on the Sigma to see if it is an APO. If it is not do you still recommend the Sigma over the Nikon?

It looks like it is not the APO. I have not heard back yet from the seller, but from Sigma's Website the APO has the red stripe around it like this and says APO on it:
Attached Images

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:02 AM   #4

OK it looks like that seller is currently out of stock so I started looking around how is the
Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG zoom lens with the same Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens?
Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:15 PM   #5

If it's not APO, neither is really recommended. I'd get the APO one separately.

Go with the 18-55--the 28-70 Sigma has a pretty bad rep, as well (and is again not nearly as wide).
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:17 PM   #6

OK so the 18-55mm is good what about the Nikon 18-70mm AF-S DX Nikkor for an extra $50.00 is that worth it.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:33 PM   #7

Quikster,

I am having the same delima!!! I have been looking on ebay and have found what I think to be preety good deals on the d50. Ranging from about 800 to 1300 for 3 lenses .A wide angle lense,"it dosent say what brand",either sigma or nikon "the nikon being a little more" ,sigma high resolution 28-80, and sigma high res 70-300. the package also comes with memory"1gb-4gb,2 tripods, a case, a bag,and a few other things. I dont know if your looking for a package or not ??? The seller who seemed to have the best packages"from what I know not being much"was digitalcorp??? Does anyone know them??I dont even know if these are good lenses??? good luck, texasgirl
Texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:59 PM   #8

I'd pay extra 50$ to get the 18-70mm as it is mechanically and optically better.
18-55mm is not that bad but flimsy mechanics start to annoy after a while.

Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VRII could replace all lenses you have mentioned,
however price is relatively high and founding on may be difficult because of high demand.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:51 PM   #9
rey

Quote:
I am having the same delima!!! I have been looking on ebay and have found what I think to be preety good deals on the d50. Ranging from about 800 to 1300 for 3 lenses .A wide angle lense,"it dosent say what brand",either sigma or nikon "the nikon being a little more" ,sigma high resolution 28-80, and sigma high res 70-300. the package also comes with memory"1gb-4gb,2 tripods, a case, a bag,and a few other things. I dont know if your looking for a package or not ??? The seller who seemed to have the best packages"from what I know not being much"was digitalcorp??? Does anyone know them??I dont even know if these are good lenses??? good luck, texasgirl
First off, I must say that when I was shopping around I found all those packages very attractive. It included multiple tripods, memory cards, etc... but beware of these stores.

I checked out digitalcorp on eBay, looked at their auction on D50, and found a couple of things to watchout for...

1) The title says "NIKON D50 DIGITAL SLR + 2GB 3 LESES BATTERY GRIP"
--> So, do I get 3 lenses or 3 leses, whatever that is

2) Looking at the description of this Nikon D50 I find this:
Digital Camera Brand: Canon
--> Since when did Canon make Nikon D50's???

3) The banner clearly shows the more expensive and faster Extreme SD Card, but the itemized list shows the cheaper SD card...

4) No where do they claim that you get Nikon's 5 year US warranty on the lenses. Something reputable sellers always claim.

5) They don't claim to be a legitimate Nikon reseller.

My conclusion is this: This seller packages cheap stuff with a grey market D50 that the buyer will not get Nikon warranty for. Plus Nikon will not fix grey market stuff, even if you are willing to pay for it.

I'd say beware of these packages and make sure you look at the itemized list. If you are in the US, look for 5 Year USA Nikon warranty on lenses. Look for the seller's claim that they are a legitimate authorized Nikon reseller.

I got my package for Cameta on eBay. They are legitimate, but even then I stayed away from packaged with lot of cheap stuff. I don't trust cheap generic batteries, for example, as they could overheat and catch fire. I don't trust cheap tripods, since chances are they are built for small cameras, not SLRs. I dont trust cheap cleaning stuff since they could scratch my camera's sensor or lens.

In the end, I settled with a package that has the D50 with 18-55 and 70-300G lens and a Nikon bag. I got mine for $680. I then bought my cleaning stuff and memory card separate.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:15 PM   #10

Definitely go with the 18-55 or 18-70 I ordered mine with the 28-80 and now to make up the difference I'm looking at a wide angle lens at about $400.00 or more. I also have to 70-300 so far I have no problems with it. Good luck in your decisions Greg
flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote