Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:18 PM   #1

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge whether or not it is worth saving the ~100 to get a factory demo unit over a brand new unit?
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2

It is not a bad deal as long as Cameta will give you a one year guarantee. I have done it before and it worked out fine, and I saved a few dollars.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:02 PM   #3

Yes there is a one year warranty. I was just more worried about the sensors getting dirty or something failing early due to all this extra use.
Does anyone know the average number of photos you can get out of the camera before it needs to be serviced/replaced?
Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:30 PM   #4

I clean the sensor cover shield about every two months and do it myself using the Copperhill Method. However, I also take a lot of photos and do not hesitate to change lenses whenever I need to or the image demands it. Your mileage may vary.

In terms of shutter wear, expect about 18,000 to 25,000 actuations.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:56 PM   #5

So what happens after you reach 18,000~25,000 actuations? Do you have to throw it away?

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I clean the sensor cover shield about every two months and do it myself using the Copperhill Method. However, I also take a lot of photos and do not hesitate to change lenses whenever I need to or the image demands it. Your mileage may vary.

MT
Old Apr 20, 2006, 3:17 AM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I clean the sensor cover shield about every two months and do it myself using the Copperhill Method.
How exactly do you do that?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:42 AM   #7

Quikster wrote:
Quote:
So what happens after you reach 18,000~25,000 actuations? Do you have to throw it away?

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

MT
If you're shutter fails you can have it repaired. However, it is not a cost efficient repair, and you're better off just buying a new camera. 20,000 actuations equals about 10 shots per day for 5 1/2 years. This is a consumer entry level camera, and is not designed for heavy duty daily use. I doubt the typical user of this camera will reach the actuation limits of this camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:44 AM   #8

zygh wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I clean the sensor cover shield about every two months and do it myself using the Copperhill Method.
How exactly do you do that?
Just google Copperhill, and you will see all the supplies needed and the process.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 1:17 PM   #9

Hey it isn't just the body that is a factory demo but the lense too. So it also only has a 1 year warranty over a 5 year warranty. Has anyone actually had a lense fail or need replacing or should it be fine?

The body and lens (D50 + 18-70mm Nikon) lens is only $135.00 cheaper than brand new from Cameta.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:24 PM   #10

as it states in their description (i purchased my d200 from cameta (as new)and a few other items in the past), demo means that it may be a shelf modelor a demo used by salepersons, but it is considered used. also i believe they quote that their demos have been inspected and are up to "new item" standards and are purchased directly from the manufacturer.you can also see if they offer an extended warranty from mackon the lens and balance out the price difference. the items sold as demos may have blemishes, whereas a new item, well, it just has that great new smell.you may want to check out b&h photo (i've purchased straight from them also)for price comparison. bottom line... if the price is so close (and you have the xtra $$), why not buy it new w/ full warranty from the manufacturer. i have had my camera for about 2 months and have over 600 actuations using different lenses and settings. that's not shooting every day. it's alot easier to rack up the actuations w/ digital. you don't like it, delete it and shoot more. have fun shooting.
jazzin junkshun is offline   Reply With Quote