Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 27, 2006, 1:18 AM   #21

Well I thought about what you said JimC and I decided to go ahead and get the D50.

Today I went to Samy's Camera which is a local store here in CA.

D50 Body for $549 and a Tamron 18-200 for $379. They threw in a 1GB SD card and camera bag for free. They had just sold the last 50mm 1.8 and the Nikor 18-200VR which is what I really wanted is nowhere to be found. I have seen what the Tamron can do here on this and many other forums so I hope that I like the lense. Tommorrow I will try and take some pics and see what happens.

Since I only know P&S I think that I will leave it to AUTO and just snap some pics to get familiar with the cam. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for a complete DSLR newbie.
Edrod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:47 AM   #22
rey

If you haven't seen this yet, check it out:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:15 AM   #23
Administrator

Edrod13 wrote:
Quote:
Well I thought about what you said JimC and I decided to go ahead and get the D50.
Congrats. The D50 is a well liked camera, and it's got some features that you don't get with some other brands (for example, customizable tone curves, faster flash sync speed). It's performance at higher ISO speeds is also very good.

As for the new Sony Alpha, there are lots of rumours floating around, and I wouldn't believe everything you hear. For every rumour I've seen that says it's a rebadged KM 5D, I've found another rumour claiming it's using a 10MP sensor (including a recent one from someone claiming to have seen the product brochure).

We'll find out soon enough what the specs are for the first Alpha. It probably will target the entry level DSLR market (that's what I'd do if I were Sony and wanted to grab marketshare as fast as possible). As for the sensor, flip a coin. ;-)

It will probably take a while before it actually hits the dealer shelves, anyway (and a brand new model usually demands a premium).

Even if a brand new model comes out tomorrow with more features, that doesn't mean that your existing camera won't take good photos (or that you wouldn't prefer it anyway). Cameras don't stop working, just because a new model comes out. ;-)

Heck, I still use a Nikon Coolpix 950 from time to time, even though it's only 2 Megapixels and is painfully slow by modern standards. It still takes nice photos that are usable at the print and viewing sizes I need.

There are other differences between brands. Never go by specs alone, as there is a lot more that goes into designing and manufacturing a camera, and Nikon has been in this business for a long time. Most of my 35mm gear is Nikon.

Also, the photographer's skill is more important than the differences between most camera models. Any of the entry level DSLR models are capable of taking good or bad photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:25 PM   #24
rey

I'm really surprised Sony hasn't released the specs for the Alpha. I mean, they don't really have a *major* DSLR camera line today that would be hurt by early announcements. And I assume the specs for the Alpha are finalized by now if they are coming out in summer time.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 6:58 PM   #25

I have taken some pics in auto mode and they look decent when there was sufficient light. There was a couple of them taken in the living room that were somewhat blurry. I guess this is where the prime really makes a difference. Too bad I could not find one this weekend. I guess I should take a walk outside where this is plenty of light and see what this 18-200 can do.

Oh, I also was suggested to purchase a polarized filter to protect the outer lense of my 18-200. I have read some lenses like the front on the 18-55's also rotate so does the 18-200 have this issue to?Is this something you reccommend?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:03 AM   #26

I've just read this thread through and it makes interesting reading. The blurry pictures are I'm afraid of insufficient light with the Tamron lens and this is a situation where the dearer Nikon 18/200 would have greatly helped due to the VR system giving back up to four stops. This is not a criticism, just an observation since all of our cupboards would be full of bodies and lenses if we had deeper pockets.

Interesting Jim your comments about 3mp being sufficient for 10x8 enlargements; over here we use A4 paper which is bigger and I found I needed 5mp for that but maybe I am too picky. I do a lot of printing at A3+ (19x13) and found even the D70 wanting at times so now use the D2X. The problem is my job is motor racing photography so post process cropping makes the 12mp necessary.

As a comment on printers, there are only two reasonably priced A3 printers out there and developement of new models seems to be taking a long time. I use the Canon i9950 which is great on speed but sometimes throws out a horrendous quality print for no apparent reason. Ink costs are high too.

Finally, congratulations on the purchase of your new D50 and I hope that it gives you many years of fun and enjoyment. Forget about new models coming out since that is a fact of life. As a comparative thought I have a 52 yr old car which still gets me there - it is the driver not the car!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:51 AM   #27

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement. Today I picked up a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D lens so that should cover indoor lowlight shots. Granted it seems a bit long forcertain locations around my housebut you can't beat price.

Nikon D50, Tamron 18-200, Nikor 50mm 1.8D. I now just need to learn how to take better pics. Thanks again guys.

Eddie

Old Jun 3, 2006, 8:45 AM   #28

Don't use a polarizer as a protective filter. Polarizers reduce the amount of light by up to 2 stops. Polarizers are useful for landscapes or wherever you want to deepen blues or greens or reduce reflections. They are not suitable to use indoors or other low light situations as they make the situation worse.

I've stated this many times, but protective filters are a waste of money. They add nothing to the image (except maybe softness in the case of cheap filters), and increase the chances of vignetting and flare. In 15 years I've never banged the front lens element. If you do bang the lens hard enough to damage it, the broken filter will probably damage the lens anyway. Dealers recommend these because they are high margin. Unless you shoot at the beach or in really dusty conditions, don't bother with a protective filter.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:12 AM   #29

Well it would be a poor world if we were all of the same opinion but on the question of a UV filter I completely disagree. I dropped my 80/200 some years back and completely smashed the filter but the lens was undamaged. I agree that a cheap filter is as good as useless but a Hoya or Nikon is a useful safeguard. I use one on ALL my lenses (and have done for 25 years)and find that for my purposes as a motoring journalist there is no discernable loss of quality. A polariser is a different kettle of fish however and here post processing has taken the place of this although sometimes in bright sunlight I still use one to avoid glare from windscreens and the like.

So there you have two completely opposing answers and it is only you who can decide!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote