Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:51 PM   #1

If you had the choice of only having two lenses for your D50 what would they be? I am posting this becuase at this time I want to only buy two of them!

Which one would you use for taking pics indoorsunder medium to low lighting?

Which one would you use for taking pics outdoors under good lighting?

I will soon get my D50 just want to make sure that I choose the lenses I will need. Taking pics in my home of family under decent lighting and outdoors of them at parks playing sports, backyard, etc.. under good lighting.

I am going from a P&S so this will be my first DSLR. I would hate to buy a package deal with glass that doesn't serve my purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
Edrod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:57 PM   #2
rey

For indoors, the 50mm f/1.8 is a favorite. It's not wide but it's cheap are great indoors, mostly for portrait and indoor sports, not group shots as it isn't wide.

I also have the 18-55 kit lens that I use for landscape and the 70-300G that I use for tele. My next lenses will be the Tokina 12-24 for lanscape and Nikkor 18-200 VR for all around.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:07 PM   #3

Rey,

Does the 50mm f/1.8 make objects brighter? I will be mostly doing portraits so should I leave the flash on AUTO?

Sorry for the dumb question, but since all I know is P&S, sometimes when I take pics of my daughter in our home I have to force flash becuase they camera detects enough light but the pics are dark and blurry. When I force the flash then I get enough light for a nice crisp and clear pic.

For the outdoor lense I would like to take pics of my nephews at there soccer, baseball games which are usually during the day? would the 18-55 be good for this?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:06 PM   #4

Nikkor AF 50mmf/1.8 D if possable which will allow shooting much of the time with out flash. Or a Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED are my choices for indoors both possable with out flash but if flash is needed get Nikon Speedlight flash and you can't go wrong.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:51 AM   #5
rey

Quote:
Does the 50mm f/1.8 make objects brighter? I will be mostly doing portraits so should I leave the flash on AUTO?
The 50 f/1.8 may allow you to shoot without flash, I've done this with success. I usually get asked by people if I'm actually taking pictures since the flash didn't fire.

If you do use flash, you can set the power level of the flash. Normally you don't want the flash in full power as it leaves images flat. Yeah it is bright, but not very appealing. This is why people who can afford it buy an external flash and then bounces the light either to a low ceiling or a wall to give the image a 3D look.

Quote:
For the outdoor lense I would like to take pics of my nephews at there soccer, baseball games which are usually during the day? would the 18-55 be good for this?
The 55mm doesn't have a very long reach, so depending on how far you are, it may not be long enough. But if it's out door, then maybe the 70-300G may be good enough. It's cheap, but it's a "slow" lens, so it needs a lot of light when you zoom in, but it should be good enough for day light shooting. I've had good results with it even on a cloudy day.

The 18-55, 70-300G and 50 f/1.8 are all the lens I have right now, and I'm fairly satisfied with them.

I bought my D50 with 18-55 and 70-300 and a Nikon bag from Cameta on ebay for $680. The 50 f/1.8 I bought from adorama for around $100.

Checkout Cameta, they have pretty good packages for the D50, but do your research on the items they package together. I decided to avoid the cheap cleaning kit and generic battery and just went with camera body, lenses and bag:
http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera

Adorama.com is pretty good for individual items, so are B&H (bhphotovideo.com) and buydig.com

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:04 AM   #6

I would buy these:
-Sigma 30mm f1.4
-Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6 VR
Neither is cheap but they should cover most situations.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:15 PM   #7

Shred,

Its interesting that you mention those two becuase its kind of what I want. It seems that I have narrowed it down to onePrime lensfor indoor low light pics and the 18-200 VR for anything else. I have seen many pics of the Nikkor 18-200 VR online and they are very impressive. Since I have never owned an SLR I know alot of the picture quality is due to the experienced photographer, but I'mhoping that this lense will give me more quality pics regardless of my experience? Comments? having a good lense should help. I Just want to purchase two lenses to start with andhave budgeted around $1500 for them.

I think I will get the Nikkor 18-200 VR, but might consider the sigma or Tamron. not really worried about the price since It has been about 5 years since my last digital camera purchase. I am the type of person that when it comes to Hobbies or toys, prefers to make an initial investment and just enjoy the stuff. In the past I would always try to skimp on parts or what not and just foundmyself trying to sell them at depreciated prices to buy what I really should have bought to begin with.

I am just not sure which prime I want. Most of my indoor pics whilebe of upclose shots so maybe the 50 f/1.8 might be too long so the 30 might be a better choice. Once I decide that, I will be making a trip to my local http://www.samys.com camera store.

Maybe someone can comment on the difference between the 30 and 50 f/1.8 for low light conditions. I know what the 50mm costs but not what the 30mm goes for.

Eddie

Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:40 AM   #8

1500 for 2 LENSES! Holy crap!

I wish i had that spending money

Though you might not want wide angle I would suggest dropping the 30mm for the 50mm F1.8 (100$ and what you get is amazing)

And then buying a Tokina 12 - 24mm
Hehe but thats just me, cause I love wide angle, And WISH i could afford even the one lens (The Tokina)
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:34 AM   #9

In early to late 2001 I purchased a Sony DSC-70 3.3MP for around $1200 with extra battery, case, memory sticks, and extended warranty. I have taken thousands of pics with it and I have become obsessed with taking family pics. I would like to look at these in my old age and enjoy them. Now that I have a newborn daughter, I have become even more entrigued with taking pics and video of her becuase It is something I never had for myself. Not something I hold against my parents, I just do not have many pics of myself growing up.

I feel like I am ready to step it up a notch and start taking photography more seriously with a serious camera.

So, not necesarily excited about spending that much on just glass, but willing to do it, if it will make a difference in the experience I will have with an SLR. Nothing worse than spending a ton of money and not being happy with the results.

Will I be able to take pics of poeple closeup with 50mm f/1.8 or does the lens force you to back up when shooting upclose? Any help would be greatly appreciated since all I know is P&S. Thanks

Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:58 AM   #10
Administrator

Edrod13 wrote:
Quote:
Will I be able to take pics of poeple closeup with 50mm f/1.8 or does the lens force you to back up when shooting upclose? Any help would be greatly appreciated since all I know is P&S. Thanks
I would look at a shorter prime if budget permits. Keep in mind that a 50mm lens will behave like a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera (from an angle of view perpective). In other words, it will appear to be longer when used on a DSLR.

So, in close quarters, it can be a bit long.

My favorite lens for existing light indoors with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D is a 28mm f/2

It gives you the same angle of view you'd have using a 42mm lens on a 35mm camera.I've found it to be much more usable in close quarters compared to a 50mm lens.

Nikon makes some shorter primes you may want to look into. For example, the Nikkor 28mm f/1.4 (very pricey), 28mm f/2, and 35mm f/2.

You can also find some third party lenses that may be less expensive for the same capabilities. One lens you may want to look at is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC lens.

It's selling for around $429 now at reputable internet vendors like B&H. I've been thinking about replacing my 28mm f/2 with one, since sometimes, f/2 isn't bright enough for the desired shutter speeds in very low light.

Keep in mind that depth of field will be very shallow at closer distances shooting at wider apertures. So, that will take some practice. But, just because a lens has larger available apertures (smaller f/stop numbers) doesn't mean that you have to use one that way.

If light permits, you can always stop down an f/1.4 lens to smaller apertures to help out with Depth of Field (but, you'd have larger apertures availableif needed in low light to help prevent motion blur).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote