Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:01 PM   #1

I'm buying Nikon D50. And I'm searching a zoom lens.
Now the question appeared which one to buy.
Could someone make it clear? What is this "ED" and is it good/bad or just useful/unuseful option.

Thanks a lot to all.
djkostya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:00 PM   #2

Their is only one Nikon 80-400VR it is the Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR AF
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:27 PM   #3

Thank you very much.
So I see I was informed incorrectly.
:shock:

And can anybody explain to me, what should I do if I need to take photos from a big distance. Which lens I should prefer for Nikon D50.

18-200 VR or 80-400 VR.

Is there a reason to choose 18-200?
Are there problems with quality at 80-400 or it is just a matter of money?
I use 80-200, but sometimes 200 is not enough.

Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #4
Log

the 70-200 lens is a faster focusing lens while the 80-400 is a little slower and struggles to focus in low light, so if you are dealing with low light conditions you would be much better of gettin the 200, its faster and and has a larger aperture.

just my $0.02

logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #5

I bought the 80-200 VR a while ago and I think it's great. I just bought the 80-400 VR and I can't believe the vivid colors. The lens is not that heavy and the pictures are very clear. I'm sorry I can't get technical. I just buy the lens and learn how to use it. I don't get in to how they work. All I know is that to me, the 400 VR takes better pictures.

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:25 PM   #6

The Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR AF is a great lens under normal lighting conditions while some call it slow its by no means a dog slow lens it just takes some technique and in most situations I turn off VR because its not really needed for fast action if you get the shutter speed up inwhich case VR is useless anyways and just slows focusing time. I have this lens and have learned to use it for semi fast action.
But now you mention you have a 80-200 is this the f/2.8 AF version if so here is another option to help get a little more distance from it. I'd stick with a 1.4x - 1.7x version not the 2x's.

80-200 + Tamron 1.4x: (effective focal length 280mm @ f4) Sharp and contrasty, from edge to edge. Mechanically an excellent match. Superb AF, just as fast as the same lens without a converter. Manual focus OK, but again the fast geared focus on the 80-200 is a problem.

80-200 + Tamron 2x: (effective focal length 400mm @ f5.6) Excellent in center. Sharp in corners, with just a touch of contrast loss. Slight vignetting in corners, but no more than 1/2 stop, and would not normally be noticed. AF slowed somewhat, but still quite good. Manual focus very difficult, due to fast focus gearing of lens.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:35 AM   #7

Thanks a lot for the comments to all.
It is really useful information for me.

I'd prefer buying 80-400 model, because I see you tell there's no problem with sharpness and saturation.

to Jtgraphics.

That lens which I already have is just fully manual 80-200. So for D50 it might be ok, but not what I really want.
But anyway, thanks for your reply, it can be helpful for some other people.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:43 PM   #8

And there is an other question.

The model 80-400 ED VR is made just for Digital SLR or it can be used with regular 35mm cameras?

Why I ask this, because I know that lens created for regular cameras could be attached on D SLR, but changes focal length.

I'd appreciate the reply.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:55 PM   #9

The answer to your question.

The 80-400 ED VR is not a DSLR specific lens it can be used on a 35mm body the lens designed for DSLR are designated with the DX on the lens model.

Example 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX

So yes the focal length is 1.5x more, people make way to much of this.

Digital is another format as far as I'm concerned, you just need to be aware of the lens focal length that you are using.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 5:22 AM   #10

Thanks.

So the focal length is much bigger than 400 is about 600.

So isn't it very much for taking photos without tripod?

Maybe I should use something smaller in this case?

And in general, if I will use non DX lens for DSLR does it make a problem with quality of picture, because the light is being defused a little bit before it spreads on matrix and the resolution decreases. Is this right or just my admission?

And what about 18-200 or 80-200. Are they made for DX? If so, they are suitable for Digital cameras and give a real 18-200/80-200 focal length?

(Sorry for my English.)