Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Hi all,

Well, I'm anxious to try using a macro lens with my new Nikon D50. I'm wondering if anybody can offer suggestions for a good macro lens (brand, type, etc) for a good price (I'm a school teacher! LOL)

I'll worry about looking for them later... right now I just want some names and suggestions.

Thanks SO MUCH for your help.
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:21 PM   #2

If your wallet is as thin as mine you're looking for excellent quality for a low price. I would check out a used Tamron 90mm macro. I purchase mine from KEH a couple of months ago for $275.00 shipped. It's like new and incredibly sharp. There are many others, but it's hard to go wrong with this lens. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:49 AM   #3

Thanks for responding, Woody.

That is an incredible photo! It's surreal! I can only wonder how you happened to notice that little critter hidden there.

Many are suggesting the Nikon 60mm Macro lens... it's about $400 at b&h video. Phew...

Then I read on Amazon.com that it may be better to get 105mm for insects so I don't have to move in as close.

So much still to learn!

Thanks again for responding!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 5:43 AM   #4

I bought a 50mm Sigma macro lens in preference to the Nikon 60mm. It's about 1/2 the price and the quality is excellent.

Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 8:57 AM   #5

There is no such thing as cheap and good macro lens. Macro lenses are specialize lenses which is a niche market. Design and manufacturing cost for macro lenses are higher than popular lenses for the mass market. Many manufacturers take advantage and make cheap macro lenses for less. If money is your problem get the Micro-Nikkor 60mm. It's always cheaper to pay for the right lensthan buy a cheap lens and then the real one later.

Attach photo was taken with D50 and Macro-Nikkor 60mm.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:05 AM   #6

Getting close to insects is no problem with 60mm macro lenses. This moth was also taken with D50 and Micro-Nikkor 60mm.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:11 AM   #7

You find the most interesting insects, Ruchai. Your garden has to be one of the scariest, if not most interesting places around!

Then my next question is... is there much of a difference between the 60mm and the 105mm? In other words, should I invest the $200 more so that I won't want to "upgrade" later on and then wish I had done it!
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:21 AM   #8

If you expect to take real macro like this picture the cheap lenses will not do. They are OK for simple closeup which the 18-55 kit-lens should also do such jobs.
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:27 AM   #9

Awesome photos... but I think my question came across unclear. I'm sorry.

What I want to know is... should I save up even more and go for the 105mm ...? Is there going to be an advantage for me down the road? If I purchase the 60mm will I regret it later?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:33 AM   #10

I agree there are no cheap macro lenses. However that doesn't mean you have to buy Nikon. Sigma have their EX range of quality lenses and Tokina have their AT-X pro lenses. These lenses are well worth considering and cost less than the Nikon equivalent. The quality of the 105mm lenses is much the same as the shorter focal length lenses. They all offer 1:1 macro. The difference is the working distance. How far you can be from your subject and get a 1:1 shot. There are advantages to both and it depends on your subject and how close you can get.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote