Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 3, 2006, 3:05 PM   #1

Hi..

I am trying to decide which telezoom would be better with D70S? All I want is a little bit more range than 70 mm for portraits and scenes..Don't want to take sports and/or wild life photography..

I want to take the advantage of compactness of 55-200 mm Nikon kit lens. However the reviews are not very good..I do not want to pay even 200$ for a lens that does not take sharp photos. My other alternative is Sigma 70-300mm MacroAPO..Disadvantage is the weight and the range between 200-300mm is useless per the reviews.

Please advise if you own/worked with one of these lenses.

Thanks
velveteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 3:35 PM   #2

In all honesty, the average user will not be able to discern lens deficiancies, especially at normal monitor and print sizes (11x14 and under). Also, most lenses (even the cheaper ones) are fairly sharp when stopped down a bit. With carefull subject placement, one can achieve a blurred background even at f/8 or so for portrait work. Also, most prefer a slightly softer look for portrait shots anyway. When comparing lenses in the same price range, you're going to get similiar results when used under the same conditions. The 55-200 is plenty acceptable for day to day use, and offers a very good value for the price.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:46 AM   #3
rey

Yeah, the two will probably perform the same, since you'll probably step them down. I don't have these two, but I have the Nikon 70-300G and fairly happy with it, stepped down.

From others' post here, you may be better off with the Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO. It cost a little more, but it has a better MACRO feature than the others.

I got a really good deal with my 70-300 since it came on a package, but if I had to buy it separately, I would have gone with the Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO. Make sure it literally say "Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO", since there is a non-APO version.

If you want, and if you can stretch your budget, you can even skip the 18-70 and this lens altogether and get the Nikon 18-200 VR. It's hard to find, and you will have to put yourself on a wait list, but it's the best all-around lens for Nikon dSLRs right now.

'Hope this helps.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:21 AM   #4

another way to tell if it is the Sigma APO or not is it has a red stripe at the front of the lense where the non APO has nothing. and if you look closely enough the APO also says APO on the lens right by the focus ring
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:00 PM   #5

I like the macro feature of the APO but I was concerning about the need to step it down and use a tripod all the time..or just shot under plenty of light..What I want is a carry around lens which I can make spontaneous shots..And as I havent used a telephoto before, I got a little bit confused..

Thanks a lot for the advises
Old May 5, 2006, 4:13 AM   #6
rey

Most budget tele's will need a lot of light, or need to be stopped down. But like I mentioned, if you are planning on buying the 18-70 and then spend $200 for a 70-300 or 55-200, you should check out the Nikon 18-200VR . It is hard to find, but doesn't cost a lot more than those other two combined.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 4:39 AM   #7

I checked that lens but that was not available for the moment. I am in Turkey and will send the lens to a friend in US to bring it to me.. So I have a limitation of 1 week. I dont have a chance to wait for its availibility..

I think the best will be to accept the limitations as I will buy a low budget tele..Thanks a lot for the advices..
Old May 5, 2006, 8:21 AM   #8

That's cool? where in Turkey? my fiancee will be over in Turkey from the 18th on for about a month working on an Archeology dig.

velveteen wrote:
Quote:
I checked that lens but that was not available for the moment. I am in Turkey and will send the lens to a friend in US to bring it to me.. So I have a limitation of 1 week. I dont have a chance to wait for its availibility..

I think the best will be to accept the limitations as I will buy a low budget tele..Thanks a lot for the advices..
Old May 5, 2006, 9:57 AM   #9

I am in Istanbul..Archeological sites in fact are all around Turkey..I will be pleased to provide any information that I can although that hasn't got anything to do with photography..just let me know..
Old May 5, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10

she has actually been there before for a month working at the site.

She will be near a small town called Mut (sp?), in the Goksue Valley surveying and studying before the valley is flooded due to a dam they are building.