Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 23, 2006, 3:26 PM   #11

Better sell the 18-55mm and get the Sigma/Tamron 18-200mm. At least, that's what I did and now I'm perfectly happy with the Sigma. Others got the Tamron. See 'Comparing all the 18-200mm lenses' thread for more on this subject.

Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 3:29 PM   #12

If you're looking at a Tamron make sure it's XR LD... Di & Di II are fine too but some of the older Tamron non XR LD lenses have some chromatic aberation problems and aren't as sharp. KEH is a great source for used lenses, usually less expensive than eBay and you can trust their grading scale 100%. Even their "Bargain" grade is very good usable condition. I bought my Tamron 28-300mm from in their "Bargain" grade and it was absolutely perfect except for one tiny piece of dust under the front glass that has never shown up in a picture. It even included both front & back cap as well as the lens hood.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 4:15 PM   #13

Thanks! Took another look, it's an XR Di, so I'll keep looking. It's a fine line to find a good lens that I can afford after the purchase of the camera. (Especially since I just bought aP&S at Christmas, before I talked DH into letting me get the D50) If I could just unload the P&S, that would pay for a good lens! Will keep reading and learning from you guys, and asking the occasional question.
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:03 PM   #14

XR Di is fine (i'm guessing they just left out the LD).
Old May 25, 2006, 10:18 AM   #15

Thanks! Will see if I can get it for a reasonable price, or at least something I can afford. I really need more reach than the 18-55 gives me. One more stupid question: The lens says it is for a Canon, is there a difference between a Tamron lens for aCanon and a Tamron lens for a Nikon? Told you a was a rank beginner! Appreciate the help.
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 12:10 PM   #16

The mount is different for Canon vs. Nikon and won't work on a Nikon camera. Companies like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar, etc make the same or similar lenses for many different mounts. Always make sure it's a Nikon mount.

A great place for used gear is http://www.KEH.com . They are usually less expensive than eBay and you can trust their grading system 100%. I've bought items from their "Bargain" grade (lowest grade that's still 100% functional) and it was as good as an item that someone on eBay might call "excellent". They also usually have low prices for new equipment, lower than other retail stores like Wolf/Ritz but perhaps not as low as some eBay vendors (but w/ KEH you get the full warranty since they are an authorized dealer).

Hope this helps!