Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 6, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1

I'm going to buy a Nikon digital camera but not sure about the difference in lens. I need macro and mega zoom. I don't want to buy a good camera and loose the quality on the lens. Does the Nikon D50 or D70 have a good enough macro that I don't have to but a special lens? Is there a lot of difference between the Nikon, Tamron, Sigma and Quantaray zoomlens. The aftermarket lens do have a macro feature. I'm thinking of a 17-70 and a 70 to 300mm. Is the digital lens that much different?? Thanks for your response.
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 3:29 AM   #2

Cams-

If you want to work close to your macro subject, then you will need a specific macro lens, such as the Nikkor 60mm. There are a few medium tele and long tele lens that have a macro swich on them but you will be forced to work much further away from your macro subject. Yes, third party lens makers, such as Tamron ans Sigma do make good lenses in the Nikon Mount configuration, both true macro lenses, and switchable tele lenses. Please stay away from the Qantaray lenses. The are, generally speaking, very poor quality lenses.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 7:26 AM   #3

Does anyone know of any independent review websites for Nikon lenses? I know of www.the-digital-picture.com for Canon lenses.

What does everyone think of the kit lens that come along with D50 - the Nikon 18-55 mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DXS lens? What would be a good 2nd lens for say, 70-200mm? Budget between $300-450.
woof72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:52 AM   #4

Give this site a look. http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 4:45 PM   #5
rey

Quote:
What does everyone think of the kit lens that come along with D50 - the Nikon 18-55 mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DXS lens? What would be a good 2nd lens for say, 70-200mm? Budget between $300-450.
If you're planning on getting the D50 with the kit lens, and then spend another $300 to $450 for a second telephoto lens, I suggest you just skip the kit and tele lens, and get the Nikkor 18-200VR.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 4:48 PM   #6
rey

Quote:
Does anyone know of any independent review websites for Nikon lenses?
Checkout FredMiranda for user's ratings: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Or Thom Hogan: http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 5:50 PM   #7

cams wrote:
Quote:
Does the Nikon D50 or D70 have a good enough macro that I don't have to but a special lens? Is there a lot of difference between the Nikon, Tamron, Sigma and Quantaray zoomlens. The aftermarket lens do have a macro feature. I'm thinking of a 17-70 and a 70 to 300mm. Is the digital lens that much different?? Thanks for your response.
The D50 and D70 do not have a macro mode like a compact camera. To get macro you need a macro lens. Some zooms have a macro option but it is not the same as a dedicated macro lens like the Nikon 60mm Micro or the Nikon 105mm Micro. Sigma and Tokina make good alternatives to the Nikon lenses as long as you are buying their top of the range models, I'm not sure about Tamron and I've not heard good reports about Quantaray.

The digital lenses are made to suit the smaller DSLR sensors so won't work with film. They should be slightly smaller and lighter than film equivalents. They should also be designed to ensure light hits the sensor at the optimum angle, this was less of an issue with film. That said I still use several film lenses with my D70 with no problems.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 9:29 PM   #8

http://www.nikonlinks.com
matsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9

Thanks all of you foryour help. I've been reading the reviews onSteve's Digicams websitefor years. He does a good job rating all the different cameras. This forum is great to getresponse from all you that have had "hands on" with all the different equipment. Thanks for taking the time to give me the feed back.
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 2:21 PM   #10
Log

this is my favorite website for looking at pics takin using specific lenses and reviews by their users... http://pbase.com/cameras

hope it helps

Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote