Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 15, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1

I am loooking to buy either both or one of these lenses. would buying both be repetative at all? beised sthe extra ligth of the 50 is there reallly any advantage to buying both? or would ibe better off buying a 105 macro plus the 50? thanks
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2

They are different lenses. The macro is going to focus a lot slower, and takes some getting hang of to focus manually. The 50 is much faster, and better suited for general use. If you do a lot of macro, then I would get both. If you're working with skittish creatures or need the extra reach, the 105 macro would be the better choice. Otherwise, I think the 60 will work for you. Because of price and performance, everyone should own the 50mm.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:34 AM   #3

billybobbovine wrote:
Quote:
I am loooking to buy either both or one of these lenses. would buying both be repetative at all? beised sthe extra ligth of the 50 is there reallly any advantage to buying both? or would ibe better off buying a 105 macro plus the 50? thanks
I think you should answer yourself what you want to do with your camera. The main reason SLR are very popular is because it will work with lenses with any focal lengths for different requirements.

I had a MicroNikkor 60mm on my D50 most of the time and very happy. Never want to switch the lens. I can take portrait with it, I can take macro or even land scape with it. Focusing is quite fast. Zooming is very smooth.

What can you do if you see a beautiful fly but you do not have the Micro 60mm on your D50?

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:01 AM   #4

Nice shot ruchai! Just a doubt, is it possible to take Portraits and other sort och photos with a micro lens? Or it is only meant to take close up photos? I think it is called micro as you can get more closer to the subject. I have never used such lenses that's why I am asking this.

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I think you should answer yourself what you want to do with your camera. The main reason SLR are very popular is because it will work with lenses with any focal lengths for different requirements.

I had a MicroNikkor 60mm on my D50 most of the time and very happy. Never want to switch the lens. I can take portrait with it, I can take macro or even land scape with it. Focusing is quite fast. Zooming is very smooth.

What can you do if you see a beautiful fly but you do not have the Micro 60mm on your D50?

Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 3:09 PM   #5

It is possible. However micro(macro) lenses tend to be very sharp, and are not flattering when used at a typical portrait distance. They tend to show blemishes, skin pores, etc in great detail.You've seen the detail they capture in close-ups...they capture the same detail in portraits!!! Typically portraits should be a little softer to minimize these blemishes. One trick is to rub some petroleum jelly on a uv filter attached to the lens, or stretch a nylon sock over the front of the lens to create a diffusion effect. Micro lenses also will be harder to focus, as the focus throw is different from a normal lens.

Micro lenses are great, but I don't think they are well suited for general photography. Prime lenses in general i think are becoming less and less useful as the quality of zoom lenses is getting better and better. In terms of convenience, nothing beats a good zoom lens.

I'm not sure what ruchai is referring to when he says zooming is smooth on his 60mm micro.....it too is a prime lens and only works at one focal length. The only way to zoom these lenses is with your feet....you have to get closer:-)!!!!!
Old May 22, 2006, 7:02 PM   #6

What I meant was focussing not zooming.:blah:I use 80-400VR for birds most of the time. To me the 60mm macro focussing is very smooth compare with the 80-400.

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
It is possible. However micro(macro) lenses tend to be very sharp, and are not flattering when used at a typical portrait distance. They tend to show blemishes, skin pores, etc in great detail.You've seen the detail they capture in close-ups...they capture the same detail in portraits!!! Typically portraits should be a little softer to minimize these blemishes. One trick is to rub some petroleum jelly on a uv filter attached to the lens, or stretch a nylon sock over the front of the lens to create a diffusion effect. Micro lenses also will be harder to focus, as the focus throw is different from a normal lens.

Micro lenses are great, but I don't think they are well suited for general photography. Prime lenses in general i think are becoming less and less useful as the quality of zoom lenses is getting better and better. In terms of convenience, nothing beats a good zoom lens.

I'm not sure what ruchai is referring to when he says zooming is smooth on his 60mm micro.....it too is a prime lens and only works at one focal length. The only way to zoom these lenses is with your feet....you have to get closer:-)!!!!!
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:26 PM   #7

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
What I meant was focussing not zooming.:blah:I use 80-400VR for birds most of the time. To me the 60mm macro focussing is very smooth compare with the 80-400
That I can agree with:lol:!! I'd love to have the 80-400, but its a bit out of my price range. I know its a beast of a lens.

I wish i had the 60mm macro as well....I've got the 105 from film days, and find the working distance is occassionally too much.