Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 18, 2006, 10:22 AM   #11

I went to a shop today and had a look at 50/1.8 and Nikon 18-200VR. I also took few indoor trial shots with VR and 50/1.8. The result of 50/1.8 was much better when I set the same focus length(@50mm) with VR. 50mm could provide much crisper results than the pricy VR. So, I am convinced that 50/1.8 is a lense everyone should have (at least for indoor shots and portraits).

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
Whybuy a lens because it is cheap. I think we should buy lens that we need to capture types ofpictures we like. DSLR has higher ISO than film cameras so we do not really need F1.8. I prefer my 18-55 as it can do what the F1.8-50 can plus wide angle scenes.

This picture was taken with D50, 18-55 @ 18mm.
Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 10:58 AM   #12

That Sigma 30mm F1.4 looks mighty good but darn, it's 400 bucks on ebay and the 50mm is only 100. Tough choice.
I have the Sigma 18-200mm which is an ideal do-it-all lens for a smaller budget but one gets to feel the need for a lens that can perform better in low light.
What an I-died-and-went-to-Nirvana kinda feeling that would be if one had a lens 10-400mm VR/OS F1.4 :?
I know that's wack, I was just day dreaming :roll: ...
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:33 AM   #13
Administrator

zygh wrote:
Quote:
What an I-died-and-went-to-Nirvana kinda feeling that would be if one had a lens 10-400mm VR/OS F1.4 :?
Unfortunately, a zoom thatbrightwould be too large to be practical. But, we can always wish. lol

In some of the low light restaurants andclubs around here with live music, I've needed shutter speeds of 1/8 second shooting at ISO 3200 and f/2with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D with a bright prime.

To put how low this light is into perspective,you would needto use a2 second shutter speed for the same exposure shooting atISO 1600and f/5.6 (about where some of the zooms we're discussing would be at for the largest available aperture if you zoomed in much). :-)

Fortunately, most indoor environments have better lighting than that. But, unless you want to use a flash or tripod (and your subjects are stationary), a bright prime is a must for existing light shooting in many indoor environments.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 4:51 PM   #14

Can anyone who shoots with the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D or non-D post some pics taken in low to medium light with this lens?
I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old May 21, 2006, 8:35 PM   #15
rey

Quick snaps of 50mm f/1.8D with D50. Shutter Priority but set to keep Aperture @ f/1.8. No PP except resize, and saved as JPEG qual 5/12. Light was dark enough that D50 set it to high ISO (see exifs). Because of DoF, focus points are: Bulls, Knife, Flower @ bottom right of flag, respectively.

Peace.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 3:26 PM   #16

I am happy with my 50/1.8. Got it today! Took a trial, F1.8, adjusted WB and resized.

Attached Images

Old May 31, 2006, 4:05 PM   #17

Swedson, mine is on it's way from Hong Kong as we speak.Would you post some low-light snapshots taken without flash, please?
Old May 31, 2006, 7:03 PM   #18

where are peoples samples made? china or thailand? or does it realy matter? just got mine yesterday as a bday present, quite pleased, now i need a macro...anyone wanna give me 400?
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:32 AM   #19

I took the above picture under normal ligting without flash. I only adjusted the WB. I can take a low-light one this evening. Now it is 0720hrs here. This lens is really cool!

This shot I made indoor without extra light. @F1.8 I got 1/100 sutterspeed. When I changed to F2.5 the Shutter speed came down to 1/40

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Swedson, mine is on it's way from Hong Kong as we speak.Would you post some low-light snapshots taken without flash, please?
Attached Images