Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 17, 2006, 4:35 PM   #1

I sold my Nikon 55-200 and add up more to get the 18-200(Sigma, on the way) for my D50. In the forums I read a lot about the Nikon 50mm 1.8. Why should I own one like this? What makes this lens so special (other than the price: In Sweden it costs around 180USD compared to 100 in US.)?? I appreciate all the reasons you could give.
Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 5:16 PM   #2
Administrator

It's sharper and brighter than a zoom.

A lens like this is around 3 times as bright as the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 on the Sigma's wide end (least apparent magnification), and around10 times as bright as the Sigma when you zoom in towards the Sigma's long end (f/1.8 is 10 times as bright as f/5.6).

So, you can get much faster shutter speeds for any equivalent lighting and ISO speed with a lens like a 50mm f/1.8 (and a brighter lens also helps the camera see better for Autofocus purposes and also gives you a brighter viewfinder).

If you plan on doing much existing light shooting without a flash or tripod, it would be a good one to have in your bag.

For closer quarters (sometimes, you may find 50mm a bit long), I'd look at some of the other alternatives, too (for example, the Nikkor 35mm f/2 orSigma 30mm f/1.4 EX).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:17 PM   #3
rey

It's a really nice fast lens for indoor use. Try using your 18-200 lens in doors without flash and you'll soon see why. Also, it's depth of field allows for really nice closeup headshots, especially of kids.

Again, it depends on what you shoot. I suggest you use the 18-200 and see if you need the 50mm prime, if not, then don't get it.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:28 PM   #4

Based on price and performance its hard to do much better than that lens. I don't use it all that often, but it is a comfort knowing its in the bag. I agree it may be a touch long indoors, but its a great length for portraits (its almost too sharp). You could certainly do alot worse for your $100 (or less).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 9:27 PM   #5

Just want to echo what everyone has said so far in this thread.

Funny enough this thread popped up, just lastnight i returned the Nikon 18-55, and Sigma 70-300 lenses that i originally bought and got a Sigma 18-200 and then also bought a Nikon 50mm 1.8

the 1.8 is great indoors, and great for indoor action shots. its also very affordable.
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:55 AM   #6

Ya I'm planning on selling the kit lens and getting the sigma 18-200, I will have to wait a couple months though as I'm totally broke lol

But I bought the Nikkor 50mm F1.8 about 2 weeks ago, And I now loathe to put the kit lens back on it for 3 reasons.

Sharpness (50mm is sooo sharp) Even at F1.8, when you want everything in focus to be sharp, this lens at F11 Is awesome
Depth of field - Amazing for portraits, creates really nice blurred out backgrounds that let you cheat indoors (Busy backgrounds aren't a problem anymore)
Brightness - Also amazing, Handheld night shots at ISO 800 (rather than 1600 and not really possible to be handheld)

just an awesome lens, To zoomed in for landscape but It's on my D50 90% of the time right now.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 2:29 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments. It seems to be 50/1.8 is a must have lens for a DSLR user. I could see the problems with light when I wanted to take the X'mas tree in the room. As the 50mm becomes 75mm with D50, I have to check with the current lens I have about the coverage I get with this Focus length. Nikkor 35mm f/2 orSigma 30mm f/1.4 EX are good alternatives but the price would be little too much for me at the moment. (And wife would kill me!! lol). Could you please share the pictures you have taken with 50/1.8?

Attached Images

Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:02 AM   #8

Whybuy a lens because it is cheap. I think we should buy lens that we need to capture types ofpictures we like. DSLR has higher ISO than film cameras so we do not really need F1.8. I prefer my 18-55 as it can do what the F1.8-50 can plus wide angle scenes.

This picture was taken with D50, 18-55 @ 18mm.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:41 AM   #9

yes but that is an outdoor shot with plenty of light.
they are talking about doing indoor shots with low light specifically action and portrait.

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
Whybuy a lens because it is cheap. I think we should buy lens that we need to capture types ofpictures we like. DSLR has higher ISO than film cameras so we do not really need F1.8. I prefer my 18-55 as it can do what the F1.8-50 can plus wide angle scenes.

This picture was taken with D50, 18-55 @ 18mm.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Administrator

Swedson wrote:
Quote:
Could you please share the pictures you have taken with 50/1.8?

You can find over 7000 photos taken with this lens by pbase.com members here:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/50_18_afd

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote