Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 31, 2006, 10:18 PM   #11

Muchas gracias. I thought it was too good to be true. And I have done a lot of homework. But will check out online but am apt to buy from local . The costs are not that different.
rhetarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:46 AM   #12

Now have been advised at a Camera shop by Nikon rep:1. Give up on D70, the D50 is a great camera. Go with the on sale kit lense 18-70 and add a Nikon 70-300 ED for $359.2.Store salesmen advised if I insisted on buying a D70, get body only and buy one Tamaron 18-200 lense which was every bit as good as the Nikon18-200 without image stabilization.The  question is am I being foolish to want a heavier D70 because I read it's pros and cons and compared to D50 which seems like a cut down version. With great images. Still don't know which lenses to go with.Any advice appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 2:54 PM   #13
E.T

Well... D50 uses SD card so if you ever would go to higher end models you would have to get new memory cards, all other dSLRs use CF cards.
(which are going to be still around when other current cards have been forgotten)

D70 also has two dials manual controls are better.
Also if it feels better in your hand that would be definitely plus... camera which doesn't feel good in hand doesn't "encourage" to photograph much.

As for lenses if you want more convenience and to minimize "dust exposure" that 18-200mm could be very good lens, after "cropping factor" (sensor smaller than film) it becomes about 28-300mm which would cover very wide range of situations.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 6:30 PM   #14

Thanks. I have more compact flash than sd now and some are 1 gig.I do like the feel and the controls. One of the salemen at Ritz let me use it and practice setting white balance and a few things and the dual knobs were way easier for me. I felt it was logical.*Regarding the lack of depth of field control. Doesn't* that mean you dial it in looking through the view finder? A preview would surely be helpful. Someone wrote it isn't in SLRs. I have only used DOF with 35mm in the 70s when I owned a very nice camera and learned to use it. Am interested in taking classes to grow into this camera.*The CMSOS is better on the D50...do you think the difference in picture quality is worth choosing D50? I appreciate your opinion. I think I will get that lense the Tamaron 28-200. It then would be my only lense. Or should I also get a nikon 18-70. They don't sell it outside the kit s witthout raising the price.