Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 26, 2006, 9:08 PM   #1

I think I have decided I want a Nikon. Have held both D50 and N70.My question is can I make the switch and save money with sales on the kits and get better pics than was getting with my Olympus C5050? I needed to get closer. Cropped many images.I would like to get lenses appropriate for this outlay of money. I have a budget of around one thousand to start. I tend to be unhappy underbuying. Have little experience with lenses but have read that the* 18-200 lense though costly is worth two of the kit lenses? Is that true? Or can I get started with the D70 lense kit and which one or two would you recommend.I can affford this now and am anxious to buy but respect the abundance of knowledge on these sites. I have drooled over the Macro images I have seen from the D70's on contest sites. I don't need to be world class. Just don't want to spend money on a kit if same money on better lense would be solution. Plan to upgrade to faster memory also.Any advice please. thankyou in advance. Photoshop enthusiast in San Diego.
rhetarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 7:17 AM   #2

rhetarae wrote:
Quote:
I think I have decided I want a Nikon. Have held both D50 and N70.My question is can I make the switch and save money with sales on the kits and get better pics than was getting with my Olympus C5050? I needed to get closer. Cropped many images.I would like to get lenses appropriate for this outlay of money. I have a budget of around one thousand to start. I tend to be unhappy underbuying. Have little experience with lenses but have read that the? 18-200 lense though costly is worth two of the kit lenses? Is that true? Or can I get started with the D70 lense kit and which one or two would you recommend.I can affford this now and am anxious to buy but respect the abundance of knowledge on these sites. I have drooled over the Macro images I have seen from the D70's on contest sites. I don't need to be world class. Just don't want to spend money on a kit if same money on better lense would be solution. Plan to upgrade to faster memory also.Any advice please. thankyou in advance. Photoshop enthusiast in San Diego.
This topic has been discussed a million times on these threads. For whatever reason, people seem to believe the 18-55 and the 55-200 are horrible lenses. For pros, they probably are. The 18-70 is slightly better, but not worth getting over the two lens kit for the same price. Even a pro would be hard pressed to see the difference between the D50 kit lenses and the 18-70 at normal print/viewing sizes. If the lenses are stopped down, there will likely be no difference. Pro glass will not make you a better photographer.

Also, you do not need the fastest memory. the Sandisk ultra two memory should do well for you, as the speed of the card doesn't come into play until the cameras buffer fills which is after 12 or so continous shots.

Save your money, get a Sb600 speedlight...this will help your photogrphy more than faster memory or a more expensive lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3

The 18-200VR lens is worth the $750 you will pay.

It's crisp and clear. The VR really works. You can do about 90% of everything you would want with it. I'm very impressed with the lens and how you can instantly override autofocus with manual.

But it all comes down to what photographs you like to take. A speedlight won't do much for landscapes, of course, but it, too, is helpful.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks so much for taking your time for my redundant question. But I knew I was a beginner reading reviews from pros. I am a little worried about getting dust in from changing lenses, but I think I will take your advice and grab both "kit" lenses while they are on sale.Are people chosing the 70-200 lense to avoid changing lenses and to carry just one lense? It doubles cost of camera. But don't want to have to replace soon due to dust.Also, considering D70 for depth of field control. Is this something I shouldn't worry about. I just want great pictures . I had to crop and then fix noise and sharpen with my Olympus. Should have started with an SLR but didn't know what I didn't know. Also three years ago they didn't have the Cannon Rebel XT or the D50 for What I paid, $800 for 5meg 1.8 lense and camera Raw.
Old May 27, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5

i know a lot of people consider this a soccer moms lens

however

the price is right [email protected] camera

if youll read the reviews and also look on pbase

i am very happy with it and it covers a wide range

reviews
Tamron 28-200 lenses - Popular Photography http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-56-xr-af.html

Tamron AF 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 XR - Shutterbug
http://www.shutterbug.net/test_reports/1201sb_tamron/

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/Tamron28-200XR.htm

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=43&page=1

http://thewizardstower.org/thelibrar...5.6review.html

user reviews
http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...9_3128crx.aspx

heres some users gallery

http://www.pbase.com/timbateman/tamron_28200_xr

http://www.photos.ph/profiles/jovitmorando

automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am a little worried about getting dust in from changing lenses
Cleaning dust off the sensor is nothing to worrry about. Even with just 1 lens that you never change you will get dust on it sooner or later, it's just a "feature" of DSLR cameras.

My brother got the 2 lens kit and is very happy with them. He has some big and expensive lenses from his film days too, but the 18-55+55-200 were so cheap in the kit he thought he had little to lose, and he finds them to be perfectly acceptable for general photography.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:35 AM   #7

rhetarae wrote:
Quote:
Also, considering D70 for depth of field control. Is this something I shouldn't worry about. I just want great pictures .
DOF preview is not a really useful feature for DSLR's. You need to be in really bright light and at a fairly wide aperature in order to see anything at all. The viewfinder is just too dark and too small to make useful judgements. It's just easier to take a shot and review the pic on the lcd to check DOF. DOF was somewhat useful for film, as viewfinders were a bit brighter, and you didn't have the ability to review pics immediately.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 10:11 AM   #8
rey

Quote:
But don't want to have to replace soon due to dust.
Just to add to the dust issue. Make sure you do your research on this. You don't dump the camera just because of dust. You can clean the dust off the sensor. In most cases a "rocket blower" is good enough. But sooner or later, you will have to use sensor wipes. I've had my camera for three months and I haven't had the need to clean my camera's sensor (knock on wood). Others had to clean there's after just a few weeks.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 4:34 PM   #9

I have been holding the D50 and the D70 and leaning toward the D70 now. Just feels better and I like the added features. Thinking of just one lense now, the 18-200. If i do decide, looking online is also confusing. How to pick a trustworthy seller. Found several hundred dollars off at bestpricecameras.com. Any one have any suggestions as to where to buy. Was going to buy at local Ritz store. Until saw the lower prices Amazon.com and others.All comments welcome. It is getting expensive. Should I buy the service contracts. They run about %149/year for everything but theft and fire.
Old May 30, 2006, 4:44 PM   #10
Administrator

rhetarae wrote:
Quote:
Found several hundred dollars off at bestpricecameras.com.
Caveat Emptor!

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754.html

Suggested Reading:

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote