Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 29, 2006, 4:01 AM   #1

Hi all,

I have the D50 & 18-55 kit lens which I am very pleased with (maybe my standards are low:-)). I also have a few older lenses from my film SLRs. However, I would like to have a lightweight lens to add some more reach for general photography when I don't carry my other lenses because they are heavy and I don't expect to see anything that needs a long lens. I thought about adding the 55-200 because it is small, light and not too expensive. The other option is the Sigma 18-200 and then I won't have to change lenses. The Nikon 18-200 is too expensive, a little too heavy, and poor availability in the UK. Reviews on the Nikon 55-200 seem good, except for vignetting (Nikon's new achiles heel it seems).

So, the question is, would I get better quaility from the Nikon pair than the Sigma?

Thanks.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:25 PM   #2

Hi Keith..

I was under the same prediciment not too long ago and decided on the Sigma 18-200. Having used the Sigma 18-200 for a month now, I'd say it was the right choice. Yes i wish I had the Nikon 18-200, but like you, in Canada its hard to fine, and the price is through the roof. the Nikon 18-55 was a nice lens (for the 2 weeks i had it) but i always felt i needed more zoom. My eye isn't trained enough to see a huge difference between the 18-55/55-200 and the sigma 18-200 lens. Im happy with my decision.

Thanks.
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I am still thinking about what to do (lack of money means I have time to procrastinate).

Keith.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:27 AM   #4

I own both the Nikon 55-200mm and the Tamron 18-200mm and had a chance to use the Sigma 18-200mm for a month. The Tamron 18-200mm IMHO is much superior to the other 2 lenses.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:54 PM   #5

Why do you say that the Tamron is better? Are the pictures better or is the autofocus the most important detail for you? Just curious, as I have the Sigma 18-200 and really enjoy using it.
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:21 AM   #6

He finds it much superior because he plucked down the money for it

mtclimber, care to elaborate why you find it "much superior" ?

Wowzer wrote:
Quote:
Why do you say that the Tamron is better? Are the pictures better or is the autofocus the most important detail for you? Just curious, as I have the Sigma 18-200 and really enjoy using it.
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:05 PM   #7

I did some tests on the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 versus my Sigma 18-200. http://www.speakeasy.net/~yeh/Sigma/Sigma.htmlLet me know what you think...keith1200rs wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I have the D50 & 18-55 kit lens which I am very pleased with (maybe my standards are low:-)).* I also have a few older lenses from my film SLRs.* However, I would like to have a lightweight lens to add some more reach for general photography when I don't carry my other lenses because they are heavy and I don't expect to see anything that needs a long lens.* I thought about adding the 55-200 because it is small, light and not too expensive.* The other option is the Sigma 18-200 and then I won't have to change lenses.* The Nikon 18-200 is too expensive, a little too heavy, and poor availability in the UK.* Reviews on the Nikon 55-200 seem good, except for vignetting (Nikon's new achiles heel it seems).

So, the question is, would I get better quaility from the Nikon pair than the Sigma?*

Thanks.

Keith.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:13 PM   #8

Yes, I think I have seen them earlier and the Sigma looks good to me. I am still undecided. The main problem for me is the wierd distortions with all the 18-200 zooms at the wide end (Nikon included) which make them less suitable for architectural photographs.

Keith.

Wowzer wrote:
Quote:
I did some tests on the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 versus my Sigma 18-200. keith1200rs wrote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:05 PM   #9

kewjoe-

Regarding the Tamron18-200mm, I found that after trying bothe the Tamron 18-200mm and the Sigma 18-200mm that the Tamron seemed to consistently focus faster and more accuarately. It was simply a matter of personal choice after using the equipment. Perhaps, it wasjust a matter of the individual samples I used. Lower cost lenses seem to vary a great deal from one lens to another at times.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:28 AM   #10

Ah...that explains 'better'.* I was curious if I was missing something with the Sigma versus Tamron.* To me the most important detail was the picture itself...while I've run across 1 or 2 times where the Sigma would have trouble with focus, I've found the same trouble with my Nikon 80-200!* To me it's like choosing a cell phone carrier...all the bells and whistles dont mean a thing unless I can make a call when I need to.As for the distortion, cant you photoshop them away? I recall reading a lot about this, and you can have preset changes to the pictures to remove the distortions. YMMV.* GL