Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 30, 2006, 8:55 AM   #1

Well, I need advised from any one expert in Fixed Medium Tele Lens category to works on my NIKON D200.

I want to use a lens for Bokeh shooting and Impact photo purposed.........
Is 100mm long enough to get a good photo? or better go with 180mm or so?

any advised on this area would be very very much appreciated,thank you in advance.

regards,
shakyhands
Shakyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 2:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Bokeh shooting and Impact photo purposed.........
And huffing clouds and bouncing bricks, oh my.

I dont know what you intend to use the lens for, but I did a lot of research before buying my Tamron f/2.8 90mm Macro lens and I have not been disapointed. It is very sharp, pictures clearly show more resolution on my Minolta 5D than with other lenses. I read many reviews which compared this lens to the best offerings by Canon and Nikon. Focal length depends on what you want to use it for, at 1:1 your working distance is about 4-5 inches from the front of the lens (not the film plane, not the recessed glass, the FRONT.). A 180mm lens would make that distance longer, and narrow your background.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:42 AM   #3

hi tmoreau,

thank you for your info, yes I am not so sure myself what kind of shots I am mostly taken, some time are portraits, but close up or insect a like as well too. Kids player around (bokeh shots) Flowers or rocks...

I am consider among others are :Tamron 90mm/f2.8 or Tokina ATX 100mm/f2.8
Sigma 105mm/f2.8 EX DG or NIKON 85mm/f1.8D

I am also want to know which model was your Manfrotto Tripod and the Ball Head model? Weight includes ball head - are they more than 2kg?

Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:10 PM   #4

Bokeh is not a "style" of shooting or photography. It refers to a very subjective rating as to how good the out of focus areas look, specifically highlights and how smoothly the background blends together making the subject stand out. Ask 100 experts what "good bokeh" is and you'll likely get close to 100 different answers. There is no rating system, or way to classify how good bokeh is. It is strictly a matter of opinion.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5

thank you mates, what I meant with is, I frequently taken photos of childrens while they are playing around - take some shots as tight to their emotional face with blurr on their background...............that is what on my previous saying ( bokeh shots) - and I am more then aware it is not a style of shooting................... but now we do have one...................ha ha ha :blah: - just joking guys.