Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 31, 2006, 10:20 AM   #1
wgd

I have Quantaray lenses originally purchased for use on a Nikon 5005. I am trying to determine if they can be used on new digital SLRs such as D70 and D200. They are AF lenses; 28-90mm 1:3.5-5.6 and 70-210mm 1.4-5.6. Thanks.
wgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:56 PM   #2

honestly i would just buy the 2 lens kit for the d50, and ive even seen some 2 lens kits for the d70s which have the 18-70 and 55-200. just my two cents though
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:57 PM   #3

If they are AF, they should work. Quantaray lenses though are notoriously poor lenses, so use at your own risk. The D200 especially, (because of high resolution) will likely magnify the shortcomings of poor lenses. Why buy a $1600+ camera and hang a $50 lens on it??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:09 PM   #4

i would say the same thign, but i wasnt sure if i should just come out and sa ythat thye were poor lenses, i dindt wanna offend anyone.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5
wgd

My thanks to all who repied. As you can tell I have a lot to learn.
wgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:51 PM   #6

Imanaged a camera shop that sold Quantaray....Some of their wide angle manual focus lenes weren't too bad esp the 24 mm f2.8...the rest were crap sold by the stores because of the profit not the photo quaility. Stay with Nikon as their lenses are chromatically balanced meaning they all see color the same way. One of the reasons NASA took Nikkor lenes to the moon. When you switch lenses say at a wedding the brides gown will be the same color in all the shots. Kind of important to the father of the bride. Buy Nikkor as you can afford it and you will never regret it! Also when you spend the big bucks for a lens put a quality filter on it. I find the nikon filters to be the best in terms of optical flatness something Quantray filters don't even pretend to be... plus Nikon has a better Multi coating in both their lenses and filters. I have spent more on Leitz, B & W and Singh filters but have never found them to out preform Nikon.
geyer is offline   Reply With Quote