Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:54 AM   #1

I just got the Sigma 18-200 hooked it up to my D50 and took a few test shots outside, then came inside and under indoor lighting took a few with / without flash.

BUT All the pictures I take indoors without the flash mess up on the Auto White Balance setting! If I set it manually to fluorescent it looks fine, but when I set it to auto it comes out all yellow (As if it was using the sunny WB i think)

I thought maybe its just the lighting so I hooked up my 50mm F1.8, but It detected the light fine, and set the auto white balance accordingly (at 1.8 and F3.5)
So I tested my Sigma again, At 18mm, 50mm, 200mm, At Apperatures from 3.5 - 6
And it ALWAYS messes up the auto white balance..

Is this an issue with my lens? or is it just because of limited light getting into the camera? I shut off my camera and rehooked up my Sigma 3 times now, same problem every time. Its consistant.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2

I've never had any problems with mine but I've only shot indoors with Incandescent & flash no flourescent.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:16 AM   #3

I use a Sigma 18-200 too but have no idea what you are talking about. Can you post a picture so that we can see what exactly are you talking about?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 3:17 PM   #4

I've never seen this problem either. My sigma's doing great.
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:18 PM   #5

ok heres an example

Left pic:
Sigma 18-200mm, Taken at 50mm F5, ISO 400, Auto White Balance

Middle pic:
Sigma 18-200mm, Taken at 50mm F5, ISO 400, Little light bulb WB setting (1st one after auto) (What I consider to be True lighting conditions)

Right Pic:
Nikkor 50mm, Taken at F5, ISO 400, Auto White Balance

In this example even the 50mm Didn't balance to what I would consider to be perfect, BUT it came out much less "Yellow", And this is ALWAYS the case indoors. Outdoors the lens doesn't mess up with white balance set to auto.
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:38 PM   #6
Administrator

If you read lens reviews, you'll see color discussed.

You can see how users rate lenses by selecting "Nikkor AF(S) and AI-S Lenses" from the User Performance Surveys choices at the bottom of this page:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html

Most Nikon lenses including the 50mm f/1.8 have neutral colors.

The Sigma Lens you're using leans towards warmer colors.

So, that's probably fooling the white balance in some lighting conditions, and it leans towards warmer colors anyway, which may be more obvious under incandescent lighting.

P.S.

You also don't have much in the way of colors for it to try and use for auto white balance algorithms in that image. So, it could be relying more on the color transmission properties of the lens and coatings to try and guess the color temperature of the lighting.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:23 PM   #7

Ahh, that would make a hell of a lot of sense, I've taken a few other pictures indoors that turned out the same, and I was worried maybe mine was worse than other's. Its not that big of a deal since It only takes changing one thing under some conditions. (And I have a perfectly good 50mm prime lens for indoors anyway).
Old Jun 10, 2006, 3:05 AM   #8

Unfortunately, the Sigma is not an indoor lens and not even an outdoor night lens without tripod. I found it perfect inevery other situation. For indoors and outdoors at night I always use my 50mm 1.8D Nikkor. That is an awesome lens. Just took it last night for a spin and it did wonderful. There were times when I would have wanted to have my Sigma on but the truth of thematter is that it wouldn't have done the same job that the 50mm did.

Boy, what a wonderful world that would be if an 18-200mm F1.8 existed! :G
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:05 PM   #9

I disagree on the outdoor lens thing, I even use the Sigma for Sports photography, And it works excellent. This picture was taken sometime between 6:00 and 7:30 at night on my D50.
And heres all the ones I decided to keep from the day. (65 more pictures)
http://www.norristology.com/photogra...1&page=all

Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:55 PM   #10

Lexiticus, you must have misunderstood. My point was that the Sigma is a grand lens for above average light conditions. Yourshots are great and the light conditions you had when you shot them are pretty good.