Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old May 1, 2003, 6:43 PM   #1

Default Reversed lenses for macros...

Anybody got some experience reversing a Nikon 50mm f.1.8 lens for macros ? How good is it compared to MicroNikkor ?
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2003, 12:04 AM   #2

Hi Klaus DK,
Yes I did , D7i with a Nikor AF 1.8/50mm . The result is impressive magnification, but some vignetting and bad distortions on the periphery . I donít know about MicroNikkor, so canít comment about that.
I canít post on pbase b/c out of space , if you want, drop me an email , I will send you some test pics (I will resize them down).
[email protected]
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 2:40 AM   #3

Thanks for you reply Kcan. I'll email you.

Maybe some others got some experiences ?
Old May 14, 2003, 1:58 AM   #4

Default Re: Reversed lenses for macros...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
Anybody got some experience reversing a Nikon 50mm f.1.8 lens for macros ? How good is it compared to MicroNikkor ?
I did it very frequently for scientific applications, especially on a Coolpix camera. I also used this trick with my old Nikon MF gear (e.g., 50 F1.8 on 200mm or 105mm). I don't need this trick any more for my SLR because I have good 60mm and 200mm macro lenses. To answer your question properly, we need to know on which lens this 50mm f1.8 will be reversely mounted. The lenses you listed with your D100 gear are not the good ones for the purpose. It would be much better to get a used MF 200mm F4 (a very good old Nikon glass); however, your D100 will not meter and focus properly. Since the MF 200mm F4 (or 105mm F2.5) has a matching 52mm thread size, a 52-52 macro coupler will be sufficient. If the prime lens has focal length of X mm and the reversed lens has focal length Y mm, the magnification is X/Y. Since you have a 50mm f1.8, if it is reverse-mounted on a 200mm, the magnification is (200*1.5)/50=6X, where the 1.5 comes from the D100 lens multiplier. This means, a subject of length 1mm will appear on D100's CCD (not the printed image) as a 6mm image. Since the D100 has a lens multiplier of 1.5X, vignetting is unlikely. Because of this fact, you could use another 50mm as your prime for larger than 1X magnification.

If you are using consumer level digicams, take a look at the following links:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4936523
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4940566
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4952742
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4967574
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5021937

Please note that I used the "tube" size for calculation, which is not very accurate. However, except for very high magnification, this error is not very significant. With the described technique, you can do the calculation yourself.

This reverse lens technique does not beat any Nikon micro lenses in terms of resolution and contrast. On the other hand, it does have an advantage because it can go larger than 1X (i.e., life size). All Nikon AF micro lenses (i.e., 60mm, 105mm and 200mm) can only go up to 1X and MF versions up to 0.5X without extension rings or bellow or close-up lenses. The reverse-lens technique can easily and handily provide a simple setup for larger than life size close-up.

Hope this helps.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 3:02 AM   #5

Hi Shene.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm soon gonna buy one of Nikon Micro/macro lenses. I'll test it with some extensionring/s - to see if the quality fits my demands. Doing research these weeks.

(btw I wouldn't attatch a 50mm on another lens - I would reverse it directly on the camera. You know - I often shoot with manuel ("M") settings on my D100 - with old Nikkor lenses. No matrix, no AF, no nothing fancy - AND get fine results. I doesn't matter that much to me with all these features!).

regards
Klaus
Old May 14, 2003, 3:20 AM   #6

Hello Klaus,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
I wouldn't attatch a 50mm on another lens - I would reverse it directly on the camera. You know - I often shoot with manuel ("M") settings on my D100 - with old Nikkor lenses. No matrix, no AF, no nothing fancy - AND get fine results. I doesn't matter that much to me with all these features!
Better don't do it because a poorly manufactured ring could ruin your D100's F-mount. If you are used to do everything manually, you might want to try (A) a 50mm F1.8 (or 60mm f2.8) plus some extension tubes. This is cheap and effective; however, one must adjust for the exposure. Nobody cares AF in macro photography. :lol: (B) For higher magnification, get a PB-6 bellow and/or its extension section. The problem is that the slow shutter speed (due to light loss with bellow and its extension) could produce too much noise. (C) Reversing a 50mm F1.8 on another 50mm F1.8 instantly gives you > 1X magnification. If is not a good idea of reversing a 50mm F1.8 on the 60mm micro because the front lens of the 60mm is deeply recessed and the front thread size of the 60mm is 62mm. Both factors cause vignetting badly. BTW, reversing and mounting a 50mm F1.8 on your D100 will not get you a high magnification (if that is what you are going after).

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 5:10 AM   #7

Quote:
BTW, reversing and mounting a 50mm F1.8 on your D100 will not get you a high magnification (if that is what you are going after).
Hmm...already tried that with my 24-85mm and got reasonable results - direct mount.
As I said - I wouldn't mount a lens on another lens and are looking for a Nikon macro/micro.

Thanks for showing your opinion, Shene.

klaus