Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4
Default

I was trying to decide between these two lenses and wondered if any of you had seen them both. I was really wondering if there was a quality difference between the two lenses. My wife and I have to decide if the extra zoom is worth the loss at the 18-28 range, but if one lens is significantly better we would probably go with that one. Thanks
Moosetache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
audioedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 254
Default

I have the 28-300 and for me, its a great lens on my cam 95% of the time - the other 5% is the 50mm 1.8.... need a wide angle shot, take 2 or 3 and stitch them together
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

If you are only going to use one lens, then the Tamron 18-200mm is excellent. I say that because there will probably be times when you will probably need a wide angle lens. If you had the kit lens to cover the wide angle, then clearly the Tamron 28-300mm with its longer reach is the better choice.

I own and use both Tamron lenses a lot.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 20
Default

Just do a google search for tamron and sigma 18-200. You'll find sites that compare the 2 lenses directly. From what I've seen the Tamron has a better focus ability. The Sigma has better image quality.* Since this is photography, I figured to shoot twice as many pictures and delete the out of focus shots.* My Sigma 18-200 is fairly sharp...and the focus isn't anything to complain about. For what it's worth, it appears that most complaints are from Canon owners. Apparently, Sigma hasnt' figured out the Canon autofocus.* My D50 has no trouble with the Sigma (other than very low light AND poor contrast).GL
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:17 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16
Default

Mt, on an earlier thread you indicated that you would probably get rid of the 28-300 since you liked the 18-200 so well. Care to explain why you held on to the 28-300? I assume it was for the extra reach.

Thanks,

OTC
Oldtimer Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

You are correct, Curt. I kept it because sometimes you need that extra reach.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:27 PM.