Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2006, 1:03 AM   #1

I bought nikon D50 just for the hack of it and now I figure that slowly getting addicted to bird photography. I recently got a used af-s 80-200, figured that it's not enough then ordered a new kenko pro 2x. Again got disappointed, the image was soft below f/8, but again at f/8 focusing was not accurate 75% of the time. Now I have ordered a kenko 1.4x(yet to come).
Could you suggest me what lens/teleconverter I should use to get around 500mm reach. You can assume that I'm going to buy used lens and want everything below $800
chhetri_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:37 AM   #2

Why not look for a used Nikon 500mm mirror lens? It is manual focus but this fixed f8 lens still rocks in the right hands. It is light and compact and I paid about $500 for mine in mint condition with case some years back.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:04 AM   #3

Mirror lenses do have distracting donut shaped highlights though. I don't know what lens to suggest, but I end up cropping quite a bit to get a decent bird photo (I have a 70-300). I find that by shooting RAW I can squeeze a bit more out of the crop (jpeg artefacts tend to be noticable with a heavy crop and a lot of post processing).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...therhoopoe.jpg

You might find it easier to find a decent 400mm lens for a reasonable price and then rely on a bit more cropping. Other optins are Tamron 200-500 if you can find one second hand. You should be able to find a Sigma 170-500 for <$800 new, but I know nothing about it.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:27 AM   #4

I use a D2X with a 70/200 and TC17 but that is way beyond the budget her. Also, with 12m pixels, I can crop with not a great loss of quality. That's why I recommended the mirror. Yup, mirror lenses do create a donut effect but sometimes that can lead to a pleasing effect! I've also recommended it before but the old 75/300 is built like a tank and works fine on a digital camera. 2nd hand it shouldn't be very expensive either.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:38 AM   #5

There are no teleconverter/zoom lens combo's i would recommend. TC's work best with primes. Primes tend to be faster and sharper and can handle the loss of light better than zooms. TC's take all the shortcomings of zooms (speed, slower AF, larger min. aperature etc) and magnify them.

I recently picked up a used Tamron 200-400 from KEH for a little over $200. It's slow (f5.6 but it's constant) and huge bur works reasonably well. You will need to use a tripod....there will be no hand holding with this monster.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:06 AM   #6

chhetri-inside : You can try with nikon 500mm Reflex. I got one in second hand in good condition, with prectice you can get good pics. this i a example. one is about 0.5 kilometer and the other one is about 0.8 klm. with 2 and 3 crops. Carlitin
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:07 AM   #7

And this one, as you can see, if the background is dark, you can,t get clear dunots, and put strong sharpener so you " burn " the pic.,Remember to practice a lot. C.,
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:52 PM   #8

thanks for the suggestion cameranserai. I was thinking about mirror lens, after after reading the reviews I thought let's keep it as last option. Also I have never shot any pics in manual focusing mode, and I don't think that will be an option for me as I'm equally intrested in catching birds on the flight.
Yup, nikon 75-300 is good and I already have it(in fact I also have nukon 70-210). I thought lets upgrade and bought af-s 80-200, but wasn't quite happy with the results.

What I feel is at such a tele I should be shooting at aperature <= f/5.6( ideally f/8 ), to get sufficient depth of field.
Has anyone tried "af-s 300 f/4" with 2x teleconverter ???
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:49 PM   #9

I tried af-s 80-200 with kenko 1.4x and wow I don't see any noticible degrade in picture quality and I get the best at f/6.3 with this combo. Only thing is that AF speed has gone down a bit, but still fast enough
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:25 PM   #10

I'd say in your price range a "Bigma"... Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 HSM would do the job. Fast focusing w/ HSM (Sigma version of AF-S) and no need for TCs. You'll need good light and/or probably a monopod at the 500mm end. Another option would be the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OS. Not quite as long but should be long enough and hand-holdable thanks to OS (Sigma's VR).
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote