Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:47 PM   #1

Ok, I just got back from vacation (Cancun and Chichen Itza)and saw a woman lugging the camera I wanted to purchase for my first DSLR (The Nikon D2X). I'm now thinking about a D200 to replace my Coolpix 8700, which is probably better not just for weight, but for my pocket book as well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My question is, what is a good (if not great)all purpose lens that will allow me to take wide angle and a good amount of zoom. Also, indoor photography (but not actions...yet)

I do have to admint that my little 8700 took some decent pictures. I can't wait to get a DSLR and see the quality improvement. I have a Canon 9900 printer and made some awesome A3+ prints of the ruins.

Thanks for the info!

Kellam
kellamMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:45 PM   #2
rey

The best all-around lens for Nikon is the Nikkor 18-200VR. For really wide angle shooting, the Nikkor 12-24 is the best, but 3rd party alternavites are decent.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, Rey. That lens looks like it will do the job nicely.

Now, question #2. Eventually, I want to do somewildlife shots and will need a telephoto lens. I know they cost an arm and a leg, but I need to start saving for one as soon as possible. Does anyone have a recommendation for one?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:46 AM   #4

The Sigma APO line is very good for people on a budget. I have the 70-200mm 2.8 with the tele extender. If you need more reach, I have seen amazing results with the 80-400 4.5-5.6 but haven't used it myself.

Of course, it's hard to beat nikkor glass but be prepared to pay nearly twice for the same focal length.

I plan to keep my 70-200 APO but my next lens I plan to get is the Nikkor 18-200VR, that seems to be THE walk around lens.

eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:48 PM   #5

I have the D2X and the D200. I just took a trip to Cozumel and opted for the D2X since it has better battery life and I could only take one of my DSLrs since I also took along an underwater camera. I was told you could only take one camera per person but no one ever checked my gear.

The D200 is an awesome camera. If it had been out before the D2X, I would have bought two of them. I insist on having a backup.

I did most of my shooting with the 17-55mm lens and wish I had been able to purchase the 18-200mm for the trip. I will hopefully get it before the next "trip of a lifetime".
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:15 PM   #6

I'm planning another trip to the Riviera Maya in January and Will have my D200 by then. I'm going to Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen and down to Tulum for some more ruins pictures.

Chichen Itza was awesome. I'll have to post a pic my humble little Coolpix 8700 took. It did a great job. I took a picture in front of the big pyramid and it came out nice. I'll be sure to go back with my DSLR when I get it.

That poor lady that had the D2X looked like she was about to chunk it. It's an awesome camera, but I had never had the opportunity to actually hold it until then. It was rather large and heavy for a walk around camera, in my opinion.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:33 PM   #7

The D2X is definitely a bulky camera. My neck ached at the end of each day. We were walking around shooting and site seeing for 7 days.

Tulum is fascinating. I'll have some of my pics from the trip up in a day or two. I'll let you know so you can check them out.

Did you have any camera trouble with the humidity? I had trouble with foggy lenses several times. I kept forgetting to get things out in the open for a while when getting out of air conditioned vehicles into the warm humid air.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:30 AM   #8

Yes! I had many problems with foggy lenses. I had my suite AC set at 70F and I would go out on the balcony to take a shot of the beach or the water and had to let the camera aclimate for a good bit.

I'm ready to get my D200, but I can't believe how hard it has been to find the Nikon 18-200mm lens. I may have to settle with a different lens for now or plop down the $1000+ for the ones that I have found.

Attached Images