Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:43 PM   #1

So, I've been pouring over pages and pages of stuff on this and other forums. I have also made countless trips to CC to "play" with all the cameras there to get a feel for them. I am planning on my D-50 purchase in the next day or two (YIPEE). Instead of asking the standard what kinda lens should i get (this is probably a question I need to find out myself), I'd really like to know when the Nikon 18-200 VR will be readily available. Ritz has it advertised at 750.... If that price is true, then I could pick up a D-50 ($549 with quantaray lens) and VR ($750, as stated above) for just afew scripts above the price of the D-70 kit....As an added bonus, I could probably get 20 or 30 dollars for the quantaray on e-bay, and get a $50 gift card from Ritz.I am aware of their not so stellar rating, butI'll buy from thestore they have here. Anyhow, I'd really like to know how long I'd have to wait if I went this route... weeks, months, years? Any input would be appreciated.

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:38 PM   #2

The truth is no one knows when the lens will be readily available. Demand has been incredible for this lens, and the few places that have it are charging over $1000. Your best bet is to try to get on a waiting list, but again, when you might get the lens is anyones guess.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3

ah... i guess it's down to the whole "how much is thetime without a camera worth" question. go ahead and try and figure out another possible combination (18-55mm kit + 70-300mm sigma.... 18-200mm sigma.... blah blah blah), or wait it out for the 18-200 mm nikon?.... hmm....

i like the advice that many experienced posters have given to us newbies here.... starting with good glass may cost $ up front, but will more than likely save $ in the long run. with this one lens, i'd pretty much be set. maybean sb600 and the 50mm f1.8 down the road, but at least those purchases would not be negating my upcoming purchase. ah well...

mahalos for the quick reply to the post.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4
rey

I've read wait time of 6 weeks to six months. On the other hand, I also read a couple of people who saw that B&H have them on stock last week on their website and grabbed them.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 1:10 AM   #5

6 weeks to 6 months huh? i think that's a little too long for me to wait. then again, maybe it'll take that long for me to finally decide on what to buy :lol:!!

hee hee... thats the first time i've ever used an emoticon!

Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:35 PM   #6

I bought the D50 Kit (18-55mm lens)a couple of months ago and love it. I recently (almost a month now) put myself on the Ritz waiting list for the 18-200 VR. They email me every week but still no lens. I have never seen a photographic product in such high demand. It's driving me nuts not to be able to get my hands on this lens. According to everyone that has been lucky enough to get one, the lens is worth the wait.

I wish I knew how long the wait would be. I would rather know how long than to wait without an estimated time of arrival. None of the major sites would even attempt to give me any type of estimate. At approximately $800, I never would have expected to be waiting this long but I guess people wait even longer for $300,000 cars.

I wonder how most 18-200mm lens owners are protecting their lens. I'm thinking 81B Skylight but there are so many choices. I guess I have I'll have plenty of time to investigate since the lens is on a slow boat from Japan.

splatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:42 PM   #7

I share your frustration. I was actually just going to go ahead and make a purchase on the sigma 18-200 but was not able to pull the trigger... I'm still very much contemplating waiting for the Nikon - although i gotta admit, I don't think I can wait that long.... summer is here, and I'll be on vacation from this afternoon!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:30 PM   #8
Administrator

Larger brick and mortar stores have it in stock (Circuit City, etc.). Of course, they're not going to diiscont it from suggested list. But, at least they're not going to try and jack up the price too much either.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:29 PM   #9

I came very close to purchasing the Sigma but thought I would be much happier in the long run if I waited for the Nikon. I have the Nikon 70-300 so I can wait. I just hate reading how good the lens is without being able to get one. I also don't like having to change the lens so often. Hopefully, my lens will be here before the 4th of July.

The Sigma shots posted on this site were pretty tempting but I just know that if I bought anything other than the Nikon 18-200 I would regret it. Good luck if you go with the Sigma but I am going to wait.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:43 PM   #10

I haven't been able to locate one in the Houston, Texas area. I've called at least 20 different Best Buys, RitzCameras, Circuit City etc... with no luck. About two months ago when I first learned of the Nikon 18-200 there were a few available but I thought I would be able to get a better price online but now I can't find one anywhere at a reasonable price. Nikon and the glowing reviews are killing me.