Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:50 AM   #1

Planning to buy a dslr setup to photograph orchids.Currently we are thinking about buying either the Nikon D50 or D70s.What would be a good lense for indoor orchid photography?

Also while reading forums and reviews on the D50 and D70s it seems that the quality of lens included with the D70s package was higher.Am I mistaken on this assumption?
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2

Well, I have a 60mm Micro Nikkor which I think is great for orchid photography, but as orchids are generally fairly large you could probably get away with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3

Plan on buying a general purpose lens and one to use for orchids.

Keith

Thanks for the suggestion!

What do you like about this lense?

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4

It is difficult to say why I like it. I have had it since they came out and used it with film cameras and now my D50. I like the fact that it can do 1:1 (film) with no extensions. It is not too big & heavy. The manual focusing ring (which I almost always use) is nice & big. I always get good photos when using it! I have been to a few orchid places (Madeira, Guadeloupe) and it always seems a good choice of lens. There are longer macro lenses around but I would guess they are heavier. With larger objects you can probably use the built in flash, but when you get close for smaller objects then the lens will obscure the built in flash. I have bought a Metz 28 AF-3N to use with the SC17 cable so I can get round that problem.

Keith.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5

This is one with the flash.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:48 PM   #6

Wowwonderful photos Keith!

That is the level of detail and clarity I had in mind.My wife has been writing for a orchid web site she is affiliated with and wants to add better quality photographs to her work. Nikon seems to be the right combination of quality and price.

You answered another question of mine as well also reguarding how older manual lenses worked with dslr equipment.

Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:09 PM   #7

My lens is actually auto-focus (D type lens - probably unchanged from the latest one), but macro work seems to be easier with manual focus. As I recall, the version of the 60mm Micro Nikkor I bought was a new version when I got it 10 years ago or so, and one of the improvements over the old version was the larger manual focus ring.

The first shot was hand held in dull lighting so not so sharp. The bee was one of the first shots with the new Metz flash. I will probably get a macro flash bracket to hold the flash sometime.

Here's one from yesterday - saw these Small Magpie Moths in the garage last night.

Keith.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:04 PM   #8

Keith

Did you use the 60mm lens on the moth also?

Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:17 PM   #9

Yes, 60mm.

Keith.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:23 PM   #10

Here's an orchid (60mm micro again) but scanned from a 6x4 print.

Keith.
Attached Images