Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:42 AM   #1

I was jst wondering what the difference in quality between these two lenses.
From my understanding, Versatality of a lens comes at the expense of quality.
I know the sigma has much more of a reach....but then again, I don't see myself using that kind of zoom that frequent...and would much prefer something that provides a better picture quality...
Thanks...

crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:58 PM   #2

crosshair wrote:
Quote:
I was jst wondering what the difference in quality between these two lenses.
From my understanding, Versatality of a lens comes at the expense of quality.
I know the sigma has much more of a reach....but then again, I don't see myself using that kind of zoom that frequent...and would much prefer something that provides a better picture quality...
Thanks...
I think you're answering your own question. I personally went for the Sigma 18-200 because I do use the reach quite often. I would have gone for the Nikon 18-200 except at the time (1.5 months ago) it was backordered severly and also cost twice as much. I had the 18-55 lens for 2 weeks and enjoyed it, but couldn't stand how often i wish i had more zoom. The type of pictures I take, life is a lot easier having the 18-200 around. In terms of picture quality between the Nikon 18-55 and Sigma 18-200. It can go either way, im sure the Nikon is better, but not by much with my eye.
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:47 AM   #3

I went for the 18-200mm Sigma myself. I've discussed it before and this is an awesome lens for average to excellent light conditions. For less than optimum light conditions one would probably have to get a F1.8 prime or an F2.8 zoom. I already got the 50mm F1.8D Nikkor and am now looking to get an F2.8 wide zoom to fully adress my photographic needs. I've made a list of those that struck my attention here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...59&forum_id=66
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:50 PM   #4

I have the 17-55mm f2.8 Nikkor and it seldom comes off of my D200.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote