Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:07 PM   #1

I notice that Nikon is now shipping their 18-200mm VR lens with a made in Thailand vs Japan lable. Does Anybody have any information as to whether it makes any diference? Is one a better build quality than the other? Or is this just Nikon trying to catch up? I would be interested in any thoughts you might have. I have been waiting since Feb 4th to receive one of these lenses. What a freakin' nightmare of marketing ineptitude on Nikon's part.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2

Hey Steve,

I have the Thailand labeled one and can't say if it is any different than the Japan labeled one. The D200 is Thailand labeled as well. I am impressed by this lens and it is as advertised about four stops better when VR is on. I haven't posted much of anything for a while but my friends, family and co-workers like the prints I have made so far and shared with them.

Sorry about your wait on this lens. I came across it by just dropping by my local camera dealer to have my ink cartrige re-filled and he had four D200's and two 18-200mm VR II lenses in. I pretty much scrapped my camera collection save an FZ1v2 and Pentax ist Ds (noise on this camera is the best of any dSLR).

Hope you get that lens soon. Good read on it from Ken Rockwell.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:44 PM   #3

Thanks Tom,
It's always good to here a first hand reports from someone you know. I have had that lens on order from a fairly small outfit in Wash St. and I think that's part of the problem. They are really good people and there price is excellent. But because that are not a big outlet I don't think they get more than a couple of lenses at a time. When last I called, they said they were sitll filling orders from Dec. (that ain't good, lol) So, I put in an order on May 10th with Amazon. They estimated delivery by June 22. That didn't happen so they re-estimated July 25th -Aug 4th. There are no real camera stores in my town. I just got back from Sac. visiting our daughter and checked for the lens there. Nobody there has any either. They say, patience is a virtue, but I want to take picutures NOW! Anywho, good to hear from you.
Steve
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:11 AM   #4
rey

I've been to a couple of decent stores in the Bay Area (San Jose Camera and Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto) for this lens, and they both said "Maybe next year." The shortage is really bad that I think Nikon is having problems making it. Maybe their Thailand site is having quality issues.

I don't trust Amazon's waitlist dates since I've ordered stuff from them before and waited 6+ months until I finally found out online that the book is "out-of-print" so there was no way Amazon will get any new copy, even though they kept updating their "estimate date".

Anyways, don't expect to get a 18-200VR until sometime next year.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:12 PM   #5

Thanks rey, I'm waitin' and hopin'.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:38 PM   #6

I have the 18-200 VR lens on order at (in no particular order) Amazon, Crutchfield, Onecall, and even PCConnection, orders that I've placed between April 30th and this past week. I concur on the waitlist problems at Amazon, I seriously doubt that it's even 'first come, first served". Don't know what the problem is with Nikon, but it is frustrating. I really want this lens prior to a trip to Italy coming up in late September, but I'm begining to doubt that I'll see it before New Years Day!

dougk911 is offline   Reply With Quote