Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:39 PM   #1

Hello all,

I have had the D70s for about a year now (but still consider myself a new user) and have been using the 18-70mm lense which was batched with the D70s body.

Over the last month or two I have been asked to do a bit of freelance work (generally for friends), but some issues have cropped up.

Firstly a lot of the work has involved indoor photography and I lack additional flash which obviously might be useful...

Secondly, in terms of lenses I'm a bit torn between getting something with a bit more reach (the events I take are outdoors like press launches or demonstrations and I need to get a bit closer to the people I'm shooting without shoving a lense in their faceand just as importantly allow for more candid shots), and the other temptation is to get a lense specifically for portraiture...I've got the feeling the two are somewhat at odds with each other :-)

Finally I'm obviously tempted by the idea of a macro lense, but I think that can wait for the moment...

Oh yes, budget: £300 - 350 (what's that, about $500 US?) but I'm not necessarily worried about buying second hand (any helpful hints about good 2nd hand places in London much appreciated!)

Thanks very much in advance

JC
JCSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:18 PM   #2

JCSmith wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I have had the D70s for about a year now (but still consider myself a new user) and have been using the 18-70mm lense which was batched with the D70s body.

Over the last month or two I have been asked to do a bit of freelance work (generally for friends), but some issues have cropped up.

Firstly a lot of the work has involved indoor photography and I lack additional flash which obviously might be useful...

SB-600 works great with a diffuser or bounced. Highly recommended.

Secondly, in terms of lenses I'm a bit torn between getting something with a bit more reach (the events I take are outdoors like press launches or demonstrations and I need to get a bit closer to the people I'm shooting without shoving a lense in their faceand just as importantly allow for more candid shots), and the other temptation is to get a lense specifically for portraiture...I've got the feeling the two are somewhat at odds with each other :-)

85 1.8 Used. Great for portraiture but not too much longer than your 18-70. fits the budget.

180 2.8 non-d late model. Used. Great for candids and range but long for portraiture. maybe slightly out of your budget.

70-210F4 Great for both, image quality not as good as the above but not bad either. fits the budget.

Finally I'm obviously tempted by the idea of a macro lense, but I think that can wait for the moment...

Oh yes, budget: £300 - 350 (what's that, about $500 US?) but I'm not necessarily worried about buying second hand (any helpful hints about good 2nd hand places in London much appreciated!)

Thanks very much in advance

JC
matsumoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:39 AM   #3

Thanks very much matsumoto!
JCSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:50 AM   #4

If indoor shots and you need the reach, Aprature 2.8 comes in handy. They are not cheap if by Nikon.

I dont think you can get away with 70-300mm VR either, even with flash.

SB600 is the most suitable cheap range flash
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote