Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:01 PM   #1

My lens is less than 2 mos. old and starting to creep. I have read similar reports on other forums. Anyone else with this problem?. If so, did Nikon take care of it? Thanks
shawnee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:44 PM   #2

Mine creeps. I have seen 5 others that creep just like mine does. My dealer was going to replace mine but the new one was just the same right out of the box. It's just the way it is. I had Pentex len's that did the same thing. I'm used to it now and just make sure I'm holding the lens at the zoom I need while shooting. I like the output and tach sharpness and vivid true color this lens puts out so I will live with a little creeping. My dealer said He would send it to Nikon for me but I don't want to have some repair person screwing with it. Other then then a little creeping it is a perfect lens.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:28 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. The other day I was using a polarizer and noticed that as I was turning the polarizer, with the lens zoomed out to 200mm, the lens was moving backwards. This concerns me.
I know I can work around the creep, but for the price of this lens it should work better. Optically, the lens is superb and I am amazed at the quality of my shots. I guess if it gets worse I'll contact Nikon
shawnee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:15 PM   #4

I don't think it will get any worse. It will just stay the same as it is now.

Ronnie

I just did this Family portrait with my D-200 and 18/200 VR lens using only one SB-600 flash on my press-T bracket. I only had 5 Minuites to set up and shoot this photo and It came out perfect. I got paid well and everybody was happy. I would not ever want to do without my 18/200 VR lens even if it does creep a little.

Ronnie again

Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

Pardon my ignorance but what is creep.
Is it like slow on AF ?
mvashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:08 PM   #6

Hi Mvashi,

Lens creep is when the lens will zoom in or out if you are not holdingthe zoom ringto stop itfrom telescoping in or out.. It is not a very serious problem and most of the longer zoom ratio len's have a little creep if pointed down or up. It is something you just get used to if using a zoom lens. My 18/200 VR creeps if I don't hold it to exactly where I want it but I hold the lens zoom ring anyway so it is never a problem for me. It does not move if it is nearly level on a tripod doing portraits etc.

Ronnie,
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:56 PM   #7

Mine has the creep as well when I have it around 50mm to 75mm. I never experienced it before with any other zoom lens I have but this is the first and only Nikon camera and lens I own. This lens does not leave me for want for another lens like I did with my other camera, but to be fair there isn't anything else out there like this one that is this good from end to end.Also, the VR II does make a huge difference in getting a shot that would otherwise be hit or miss.

I have experienced many more keepers with this set-up.

Happy Shooting All!
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:56 PM   #8

I heard so much good things about this lens and yet I just wish Nikon would just fix this. Some have claimed sending it in and Nikon will fix, a lot have said new batch isnt like this but I know is not true.

Some use rubber bands or O-ring.

I have heard perfomance wise is very good if not comparing to a Pro lens.

If you get Pro you wont get the same range of 18-200mm VR F2.8 and in fact you only get 70-200mm VR F2.8 and 17-55mm F2.8.

For a travel lens this is the one. But for serious shooting where it may involves you being paid then pro lenses may need to be kicked in.

Maybe a 18-135mm VR would be the next great lens if Nikon decides to make one.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:09 AM   #9

I bought my 18-200 from Niks (Thailand) in June this year and it does not creep. The man at Niks told me that Nikon changed the plastic rings and solved the creeping problem when they moved the production to Thailand. My lens did not zoom very smoothwhen I got itbut is now ok. Still does not creep.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 2:32 AM   #10

You are absolutely lucky, I am still getting reports from all other people especially those who bought online with bad luck on creep issue.

I believe the best is to get from the store and see for yourself for this lens.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote