Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:29 PM   #1

I brought the Nikon D50 with the Tamron 18-200mm lens and love it. Thanks to all of your input on my questions, it turned out great. I did find out that I still need more zoom for my wildlife photography. I trieda Nikon 80-400 on my camera and loved it.I would like to get something similar but for less money.What are the pros and cons of the different brands? Is there something I should belooking out for so I'm not buying a future problem? Thanks again!
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:44 PM   #2

Cams-

Can you give us a bit more info, please. Are looking for a zoom or a prime? About what focal length interests you? What is the projected use? Will there be any low light level shooting?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3

I do wildlife photography by calling to bring them in close. So I definitely need a zoom feature and up to 400 or 500mm. (I have 18-200 now) It is early morning and late afternoon so it will be low light conditions.A tri-pod is a must. Thank for the questions.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:07 AM   #4

Cams-

That sounds like fun. You are nicely aware of your needs. Most wildlife photographers want at least 400mm of reach. Do stay away from the 500mm mirror lenses, though. The have not received stellar reviews.

Here is a shot done with a Tamron 28-300mm XR lens at the 300mm end. I am sure you take much better shots.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:13 AM   #5

I recently bought a Tamron 200-400 zoom. Its a bit soft at full zoom, but I get decent results just short of full zoom (330-375mm). It is large and heavy, andreally needs to be used with a tripod or monopod. I purchased it from KEH for a little over $200.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6

Great picture! Thanks for the reply. My other lens is a Tamron so If you guys are happy with your...I'll do the same. If I buy the 200-400mm I will have only two lens but a lot of options. Gald you mentioned the 500 mirror because I thought about that one. I've had trouble before with them getting in too close with a lens that didn't crank down far enough. Thanks again.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:13 PM   #7

I picked up my Nikon 80-400mm VR for $700 used w/ the glass in great condition with some cosmetic wear on the casing. Most even in this condition go in the $1000 range. I'd say either wait and look for a deal like this on eBay or go with something like the Sigma 50-500mm HSM. The Sigma 80-400mm OS is supposedly slightly superior to the Nikon 80-400mm VR but there aren't many used copies available. I had a Sigma 170-500mm that was opticly pretty decent but near impossible to handhold at 500mm in anything but great outdoor light. I assume the same would hold for the Tamron 200-500mm. The Sigma/Quantaray 135-400mm is fairly small, light, and comfortable to hold in hand and might be a good option if you can find one in the $400 range used.

Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote