Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:56 AM   #1

Buying d50 and need some help with choosing lens for it. I've heard that the kit lens Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G ED is a good lens for its price and fits well for dSLR beginner. But that lens is missing zoom and as I could use some zoom, I started thinking about different options.

Some online store offers Sigma 18-50mm F/3.5-5.6 DC and Sigma 55-200mm F/4-5.6 DC together with pretty low price. Does anyone have any experience of those two lenses? Are they worth buying? As I'm short on cash, I'm ready stick with kit lens, but this offers sounds pretty interesting to noob like me.
jutei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:03 AM   #2

Save some money and get the Sigma 18-200. I got mine for $278 + shipping. It's a decent lens for the same level of picture taking. Inexpensive lenses will get you decent pictures. Expensive lenses will get you great pictures...that's if you know how to shoot pictures. GL.
Wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3

In this price range and for an amateur-beginner the Sigma 18-200 is the best way to go. I use one and it stays on my D50 most of the time. The other time I just use a prime like the 50mm F/1.8D Nikkor for night shots and indoors. That's it. The way I see it, it's no use getting two lenses to cover the 18mm to 200mm range, at least not if you're on a budget and not if you don't want to have any hastle with dust issues and changing lenses on the terrain.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:31 PM   #4

I happen to agree with zygh. I am using the Tamron 18-200mm XR on my D-50 and I am very pleased with that lens. Here is a recent photo sample with the Tamron 18-200mm.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

sorry to ask a question in someone else's topic.. but:
do the 3rd party 18-200's have a stabilizer?? (like nikon VR)
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:28 PM   #6

Nope, only the Nikkor does but that's 3 times more expensive than the Sigma/Tamron.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:35 PM   #7
Log

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Nope, only the Nikkor does but that's 3 times more expensive than the Sigma/Tamron.
and is out of stock and wont be available for probably the rest of the year as many vendors have said.

-Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:43 PM   #8

There are a few different directions i'd consider going if i were just starting out in dSLR. The first is an inexpensive super zoom like one of the 3rd party 18-200mm's (or a 28-300mm if you like the long end more than the wide end). This gives you most notably a long zoom range in a single lens making the transition to dSLR a bit easier (especially if coming from super-zoom point & shoot or prosumer cameras) as well as eliminating the need to carry extra lenses or to swap them (minimizes dust on the sensor). This is the route I went since I was coming from a string of several different super-zoom p&s cameras. If I'd tried to make the transition w/ multiple lenses or with a single mild zoom I probably wouldn't have caught the bug the way I did. The 18-200mm covers the same range as a 28-300mm did on film so there are alot of used 28-300mm's out there at really good prices, under $200 in like new condition. This is what I started with and loved the huge reach in a single small lens. The lack of super-wide never really bothered me much.

Another route to consider, especially if coming from standard zoom p&s cameras or you've never really used a long lens, is a constant f/2.8 zoom. Something like the new crop of DX/DG/DC lenses like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 or an older 28-70mm f/2.8 or 28-105 f/2.8 (though the last may be too expensive). The constant large aperature allows you to use higher shutter speed (reducing hand shake & stopping action better) as well as lends more creativity with blurred backgrounds (subject isolation, dof control).

A 3rd route is somewhat of a comprimise between the two. A few lenses like the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 offers greater zoom AND larger aperature than a kit lens, somewhat like a super-kit lens. The Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 is another similar offering. A 3rd option in this category would be the Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. It's a good zoom range and wide enough for most walk-around use. It's not a large max or constantant aperature but it does have VR which greatly reduces hand shake blur as well as AF-S which gives very quiet and fast AF. This is the lens I use now for walk-around but wouldn't say it's better or worse than something like a 28-105mm f/2.8 or 24-135 f/2.0 - 4.5, especially since the constant f/2.8 lenses can stop action better and help eliminate hand shake, but at the loss of large DOF.

There are alot of options in and around your price range (which seems to be around $300 or less for the lens). The long zooms are convinient and can help ease you into dSLR if you're used to a super-zoom. The constant f/2.8 zooms give you alot of creative freedom w/ DOF and stopping action. The last group gives you a taste of both. Telling us what you shoot and what equipment you're coming from would likely help us point you in the direction of one of these three groups.

If you really want to save $$ then the D50 w/ Quantaray 28-90mm for $550 free shipping no sales tax from Wolf/Ritz. It's tought to beat that even going refurb w/ a 18-55mm kit lens once you add shipping.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:55 PM   #9

the 18-200 is available in holland allmost everywhere!! for 750,- euro

is this more expensive then in usa?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:11 PM   #10

That's less expensive than in the US, retail is around $750, or 860 euro. Due to supply issues they can go upwards of $1000 on eBay in the US, but that is starting to taper off a bit.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote