Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:13 PM   #1
SMG

Just wondering if the Sigma lense would be ok for everyday use as it would allow me to still do some macro shots. I tried the lense this afternoon at the local shop, and was blown away. It was way faster than either of the D50 kit lenses.

Your thoughts please,

Cheers,

SMG
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:44 PM   #2

I own a Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens that I use for existing light situations, and I have been really pleased with the lens.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:03 AM   #3

Yeah, not a bad lens but unfortunately you only get F2.8 up to 20mm, from there, the aperture decreases, so it's not very bright.
I made a list of F2.8 lenses for the Nikon mount and their afferent prices here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...59&forum_id=66
I was looking at the Tamron, because it delivers F2.8 aperture from 17mm to 50mm.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:40 AM   #4

The 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 is basicly an upgraded kit lens. It's slightly wider, slightly longer, and slightly faster. It's a fairly noticable step up from the 18-55mm kit lens but only a very slight step up from the 18-70mm (you pick up a half stop on the wide end but lose AF-S). It's not a bad lens, reports on it have been good, but I would likely sacrifice the added range and go w/ a constant f/2.8, something like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, or the Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 when it comes out. If you like the long end more than the wide end then a used 24/28-70mm f/2.8 or maybe a 24/28-105mm f/2.8 might work well for you.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:00 AM   #5

Stephen, when's that Tokina coming out, man?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:22 AM   #6

It was anounced a few weeks ago and product pictures are already popping up. My guess is sometime early in the fall... maybe September. I'm holding out for that one unless I find a good used deal on the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. I have a feeling, though, that the Tokina will more likely be in the $550 range where the Tamron and Sigma are in the $400 range. The Tokina will, however, much more closely match the build quality of the $1400 Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 ED DX.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7
SMG

I guess that I wasn't clear enough in my original post. My idea is to use the Sigma for every day and macro work, which I don't think that the Nikon 18-70 D70 lense offers. I would be picking up a telephoto lense at some point in the future. But I do like the added range of this lense over the 18-55 kit lense.

If the Nikon 18-70 lense would do macro work as well as the Sigma, no contest I would buy it in a minute. Heck it would benearly the same price at my local store anyway.

You have to excuse my noobiness, what is AF-S and why is it important?

Thanks

SG
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:21 PM   #8

AF-S is Nikon's on-lens sonic focusing motor that can speed up auto-focus as well as make it much quieter (as opposed to screw-drive AF on most lenses). Sigma's equivalent of AF-S is HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) but it is not a feature included in the 17-70mm. It's only on a select few Sigma EX lenses.