Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

Hello Everyone!

I am a complete newbie to photography with Digital SLR cameras. I plan on purchasing a Nikon D50 in a few days. After cleaning out my closet I found a few nice Nikon lens' that my grandfather used. These are the lens':

If these lens' can be used, can anyone recommend the best way to clean them. The len's look clean to the eye, but i'd like to freshen them up before use.

Thanks!
Michael
trojanmike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2

bump...anyone?
trojanmike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:10 AM   #3

You don't list which lenses they are. If they are Ai or manual lenses they will work, but won't provide metering or AF. All shooting will need to be in manual. To clean, just get lens cleaning solution and lens tissue and wipe the front and rear elements down. If they've been kept in cases, you may not even need to clean them.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:12 AM   #4

i have the nikkor-q 135 1/2.8 as well, but it doesnt work/fit on a Dslr
there's a place that can change that lense so it will fit on a dslr but i'm not sure what it was called and how much it costs
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:45 AM   #5

I am not sure if the D50 has the facility to manually enter into the camera the lens you are using so that metering can be provided. It can on my D2X but that is a different camera altogether. Most Nikon lenses will work on a digital body and I was amazed that when once using a D70 I put the old 500mm mirror (fixed aperture f8 and a manual lens) on the body and it took great shots no matter what settings I seemed to use. best of luck
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:51 AM   #6

do watch out, old lenses can damage your camera because they have different mechanics and no electronics
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote