Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:45 PM   #1

Would this be OK on my new D50 (with 18-55 kit lense) or the gap between the two be a problem.
Garyb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:54 PM   #2

At least for me the gap would not be too great. However, in most people's estimation this lens is not one of Nikon's best. I opted to go with the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens that is available quite inexpensively and really produces some excellent photos, even at the full 300mm setting.

Here is a sample photo. It was taken with my KM 5D because I also have the same lens for that cameras as well. That is how much I like the lens.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, I forgot to mention that I have this lense all ready with my F90x film camera. Why I asked was that do I buy the twin lense kit instead (AFS 18-55mm and AF 70-300mm Lens both G lenses) this would mean having 2 complete camera kits.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:29 AM   #4
rey

I have this lens and I'm happy with it, mostly since I got it virtually free with my D50 package. I really don't see the point of having two of it. If I were you, I'd use the money to get a wider lens, like Nikon or Tokina 12-24, or Sigma 10-20mm.

If you really want another tele zoom, get the D50 package with Nikon 55-200mm, or checkout the Sigma 70-300 DG APO.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:31 AM   #5

Your'e right, I will just get the 18-55mm and later get a wider lense.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:40 PM   #6

I waited 6 weeks for mine to arrive and used it almost immediately at an airshow featuring the Blue Angels. I took about 3 gigibytes of pictures at that show. I used the Nikkor 18-200mm ED-IF AF-S VR DX with a D50 in sports mode to capture the fast moving planes. It was a great day with not a cloud in the sky. When I later looked at the pictures I was dismayed to see significant light fall off or vignetting on the shots taken at 200mm with the lens wide open at f5.6.
This light fall off is the most significant problem I have noticed with this lens. I contacted Nikon and they said it was normal. Since the lens is made for the smaller DX sensor the diameter of the lens is smaller. This causes mechanical shadowing at long zoom lengths with the lens at the wide open settings of f5.6 until about f11. All lenses have light fall off, to some degree, at the edges. When you use a regular lens made for 35mm with the smaller digital DX sensors the fall off is outside the sensor and not seen. The light fall off was especially noticable with the blue/uniform background. If the background was "busy" the falloff would be less noticable.
Vignetting/light fall off is also usually seen on the wide side of zooms like this. I have not seen any with this lens. I do use a Hoya Pro 1/2 thickness filter so that a shadow is not made when shooting wide angles of 18mm - 28mm or so. I saw a technical review of this lens that noted it had significant outer distortion on pictures taken at 18mm but I have not seen that.
Will Johnson

Pros and Cons:

http://www.redopinion.com/?s=Nikkor+...chbutton=go%21

_

Will Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote