Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

Hey guys, I was looking at the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF and I have seen that there is the D and the non D version. Now, I plan to use it in low light photography on a Nikon D50. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts regarding this lens. I have read over forums that people say that the non-D version could be better built because it is not made with plastic than the D version that is made in China with plastic. Also, I have used a 50mm f/1.8D made in China and that was a great lens, I mean, I felt it was strong and tight built.
Please, I would like very much to see what your thoughts on the matter are. I am spending my last pennies on this lens and I really don't want to make a bad choice.
Also, do you know of a good place on the web that accepts credit cards and ships this lens to Europe that sells it cheap? I don't mind if it's a used lens as long as it works.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:57 AM   #2

The "D" is what you probably want to have. It is a feature on your camera that measures the distance to the subject when using TTL flash. You can probably get a 1.8 50mm "D" lens cheaper then the non-"D" 1.4. Look on E-Bay. I got My 1.4 "D" 50mm used for $85.00.

The non-"D" will still work on your camera. It just won't measure the distance for TTL.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

nm i was beat to it
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:02 AM   #4

Well, the thing is that I never use TTL flash on my camera.

85$ for a used D lens? That is an awesome price. Wish I could get it for that amount. The thing is that many sellers in the US won't ship their lenses to Europe.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:57 PM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
I got My 1.4 "D" 50mm used for $85.00.

Are you sure it wasn't a 1.8D?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:53 AM   #6

Nope, It is a 1.4 "D"

I got it used on E-Bay a little over a year ago. It looks like brand new. It was still in the original box and has all of the Nikon papers with it. I just waited until the bidding was almost over. (one minuite) and placed my bid and got lucky. The seller said he went to Canon equipment and was selling all of his Nikon stuff. I had a 50mm 1.8 that I sold over at Daytona Beach Comunity College to a student for $75.00. E-Bay is a good place to look for bargains but You have to be careful and read exactly what you are buying.

Ronnie
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:02 AM   #7

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Nope, It is a 1.4 "D"
Then you really paid an absolutely great price for it, man! Congrats!
I tried to get one on ebay but people are so bloody stupid. Look here. At Keh you can get one for like 215$. Well, with 1 day till auction's end, the lens was already 232$ on ebay. Those darn fools just can't keep their trousers on and not bid like madmen and pay more for a lens that one could almost get new at that price.
Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed. I thought I could squeeze one for at most 200$, but now I think I'll be going for the f/1.8 instead.
Cheers!
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:30 PM   #8

The 1.8 is a great lens. I would not have even thought of replacing it if the good deal did not come my way. As far as picture quality is concerned. It is almost impossable to tell any diffrence in the finished photograph. I did shoot pictures with both before I sold my beloved 1.8. I could not tell any diffrence in the pictures. Both len's are really good with great color and crispness. I also have a 85mm 1.8 that I will keep because after testing the two 50mm len's I don't think I will go for the 1.4 85mm. I will if I could get one really cheap, but I'm not going to spend a bunch of $$$$ for one.

Ronnie