Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:21 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I've got a Nikon D50. One of my lenses is my 70 - 300mm. I take a lot of sports shots so I'd like to get a little closer to the action. Here's my question.

1. I've priced 2 telecoverters at my local camera shops. The first one is a Tamron and it's $319 (CDN) and the second is the Nikon brand and its' $529. I understand that I will lose a Stop when I add the converter, but if I use the Tamron instead of the Nikon, will it still be 1 Stop or will I lose another?

2. Is it worth it for me to spend that kind of money if my lens is already a 4 - 5.5? Like I said, I take a lot of sports shot and many of them are at night under the lights, will my quality just not be good enough to make it worth it?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.

Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:45 PM   #2

I don't recommend using a teleconverter with this lens. A 2x TC will cost you two stops of light, and you will likely either lose the ability to autofocus or it will be avery best painfully slow. This will also make the lens nearly unusable in low light. The 3rd issue, when you take the crop factor into account, this lens becomes a 900mm lens, which will make it almost impossible to handhold. TC's were really designed to be used with fast primes to get extra length.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:40 PM   #3

Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Thank you for saving me some money.
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I don't recommend using a teleconverter with this lens. A 2x TC will cost you two stops of light, and you will likely either lose the ability to autofocus or it will be avery best painfully slow. This will also make the lens nearly unusable in low light. The 3rd issue, when you take the crop factor into account, this lens becomes a 900mm lens, which will make it almost impossible to handhold. TC's were really designed to be used with fast primes to get extra length.
Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4

Ok C ing that were on the subject how about a Sigma 1.4X EX DG APO Teleconverter for the Nikon 70-300mm ? Whats your take on it ?
Knight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:28 AM   #5

I am not even sure if this consumer quality lens can take the TC range to start with. I use them but on F2.8 lenses whereas you have a f4.5/5.6 aperture range so aTC is in no way a sensible idea. Don't even go there because it will only be a waste of money. To give you a reason why even on my 200/400 f4 lens the TC20 is unusable because thelens is too slow to focus. I use the TC14E which only loses one stop whereas, as previously stated, the TC20E loses 2 aperture stops. You are heading up a blind alley but should you get a better lens one day then have a look at the Kenko range of converters which come highly recommended as an alternative to Nikon.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:12 AM   #6

Knight57 wrote:
Quote:
Ok C ing that were on the subject how about a Sigma 1.4X EX DG APO Teleconverter for the Nikon 70-300mm ? Whats your take on it ?
As cameranseria said, I would forget about using an TC on a consumer grade lens, especially zooms. Any reduction in light, will make AF useless. They will also soften and degrade the image considerably. Although these lenses are good (or ok), the TC will magnify any problems they may have. TC's were designed to be used with bright primes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:31 AM   #7

Ok so what kind of gear do i need to get that xtra reach ,i want to go beyond the 70-300mm for birding . One thing to consider is my budget $500.00 max. Any suggestion would be appreciated. And whats your take on a Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3 APO Aspherical RF Lens for Nikon AF for $450.00 ?
Knight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 9:49 AM   #8

With f5.6/6.3 the thoughts of bokeh are beyond reach since ypu need a wide open lens to create that, but at the price the 170/500 Sigma is an affordable option. It won't be as good as a prime nor as sharp as a Nikkor but then if we could all afford it we'd have D2Xs cameras and every long lens going wouldn't we? Here is one answer to the question which I trawled:-

Rob,
I'm using the Sigma with my D100. I bought it to give me a little more length than my Nikon 300mm f4 ED which is about 8 years old now and on it's last legs. I mainly use it for flight shots, chasing fast feeding birds through the canopy and larger birds eg egrets and ducks. I was a little disappointed in the lens as it's APO glass is not as high a quality as Nikon's ED glass and I find the quality against the light suffers as a result. Also, due to it's longer length it probably should be used on a tripod for best results. It's strength is in the 15-30ft distance in reseasonable to good light at around the 400mm of the zoom. The focussing speed is about the same as the Nikon 300mm which is not fast enough for many flight shots.
Given my time again (and a little more money) I would get the new Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S as it is much faster in focussing (the 80-400 VR would also be a better choice although a little slower in the AF department ).
Some of my recent photos of swamphens/ducks and flight shots have been taken with this lens.
I would also look at the new Nikon/Canon 8megapixels as I find that carrying a tripod/scope/CP4500 and the D100/Sigma and a pair of bins all day gets a bit much.
good luck,Neil

Also here is a review of the new 50/500 Sigma which seems better in all respects:-

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=389

It seems that this is the better way to go since every birder I've talked to says you need 500mm for good shots.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide and how you get on
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote