Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:43 PM   #11

thebac wrote:
Quote:
Actually, that's not true. All the DX designation means is that it's a lens that's made for the reduced image-circle of a DSLR as opposed to a Film SLR.

As far as VR, Nikon has two consumer-range lenses that include VR (the 24-120 and the 18-200), while many of its high-end lenses do not have VR. You can tell the high-end lenses by the gold-line on the lens (also, the price and the constant aperture on a zoom).

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hey rey,

So by "hi-end" I take that to include the DX and VR series lens.
Hello thebac,

You're right about the DX series lens. The DX series are for "DX format DSLRs". I asked Nikon Canada to send me some brochures and received them yesterday after I returned home.

As for the VR lens...there are more than the two you mentioned. There is also the AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (has gold plate on barrel with "made in Japan" etched into the plate), AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED, AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED, and the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED.

Do you have any of the VR series lens? I wonder if the VR series lens without the "gold plate" are also made in Japan. As are all lens with the gold band around the front of the lens.

Any how, I got things to do...thanks for your input.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:58 AM   #12

I stand to be corrected, but the lenses with the gold plate on the barrel are the professional range like the 17/55, (alright this one is etched not a plate) the 70/200 and 200/400 and so on. The point is that most of these lenses have an aperture of F2.8 or better. The "consumer" lenses such as the 70/300 and 80/400 are not so equipped. All the large telephoto lenses have thegold plate too. The shorter professional lenses are etched purely because there isn't enough space for a plate (the 28/70 F2.8 for example). Simply speaking, if the lens has the same aperture throughout if a zoom and a minimum of F2.8 if it is a prime then it is a professional lens and carries the gold markings.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:35 AM   #13

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I stand to be corrected, but the lenses with the gold plate on the barrel are the professional range like the 17/55, (alright this one is etched not a plate) the 70/200 and 200/400 and so on. The point is that most of these lenses have an aperture of F2.8 or better. The "consumer" lenses such as the 70/300 and 80/400 are not so equipped. All the large telephoto lenses have thegold plate too. The shorter professional lenses are etched purely because there isn't enough space for a plate (the 28/70 F2.8 for example). Simply speaking, if the lens has the same aperture throughout if a zoom and a minimum of F2.8 if it is a prime then it is a professional lens and carries the gold markings.
Hello cameranserai,

Thanks for the information. So are all professional lens made in Japan? How about the VR series lens without the gold plate? Like the 18-200. All the lens with f/2.8...and the gold marking around the barel (thin gold line around the face of the barel) etc. I mean I could find out by stepping into a good camera shop. Just haven't had the time or the opporunity yet.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:52 AM   #14

I'm not sure even a good camera shop would be able to be absolutely sure since they normally don't keep all the lenses in stock, but all of my professional lenses are marked "Made in Japan" from the 12/24 to the 200/400 and I have six pro grade lenses in all. Frankly I don't think it matters since Nikon pay great attention to quality control on their professional lens range and wouldn't like to get a bad reputation due to lack of care or cost cutting. However (ducking below the parapet here) I believe that all the higher range lenses are made in Japan for quality control purposes but please don't get hung up too much on that. I've got an old 75/300 and a 24/120 which are at least 10 years old and they have never let me down even though they are of the "amateur" range. In fact, despite all the criticisms you see here when a lens is first launched (funny how they never appear after a while isn't it) I have never had a problem with a Nikkor lens in 25 years full stop. I appreciate that nowadays they are made in plastic whereas mine are metal so perhaps ther might be more problems nowadays though. Hope this answers your query.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:12 AM   #15

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure even a good camera shop would be able to be absolutely sure since they normally don't keep all the lenses in stock, but all of my professional lenses are marked "Made in Japan" from the 12/24 to the 200/400 and I have six pro grade lenses in all. Frankly I don't think it matters since Nikon pay great attention to quality control on their professional lens range and wouldn't like to get a bad reputation due to lack of care or cost cutting. However (ducking below the parapet here) I believe that all the higher range lenses are made in Japan for quality control purposes but please don't get hung up too much on that. I've got an old 75/300 and a 24/120 which are at least 10 years old and they have never let me down even though they are of the "amateur" range. In fact, despite all the criticisms you see here when a lens is first launched (funny how they never appear after a while isn't it) I have never had a problem with a Nikkor lens in 25 years full stop. I appreciate that nowadays they are made in plastic whereas mine are metal so perhaps ther might be more problems nowadays though. Hope this answers your query.
Good points! But when you say "professional lenses" do you mean all the lens with the thin gold band that runs around the barel towards the front? Also, do you know if the 18-200 VR lens is made in Japan or if all VR lens are made in Japan?

In the end, when I'm ready to buy I will find out then if that particular lens was "made in Japan" or not. For some people it's not importantant. Some Nikon owners are fine with lens made in China or Thailand. Not me. To each his own.

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:51 AM   #16

As far as I am concerned the description of professional lenses I have already defined. I am unsure as to whether all the range of such lenses has the gold line. For example my old 80/200 F2.8has the brass plate but no gold line. I don't think that the 18/200 is made in Japan but everyone seems very satisfied with it and I'm sure I will be once prices have abated a bit. My old 24/120 and my 500mm F8 were made in Japan but the latter has no plate or gold line. Times change and manufacture with it but I think you are going up a blind alley by looking purely at lenses made in Japan. Korea, Taiwan and China make superb stuff these days as is evidenced by Samsung, Kia and other manufacturers.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:35 PM   #17

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
As far as I am concerned the description of professional lenses I have already defined. I am unsure as to whether all the range of such lenses has the gold line. For example my old 80/200 F2.8has the brass plate but no gold line. I don't think that the 18/200 is made in Japan but everyone seems very satisfied with it and I'm sure I will be once prices have abated a bit. My old 24/120 and my 500mm F8 were made in Japan but the latter has no plate or gold line. Times change and manufacture with it but I think you are going up a blind alley by looking purely at lenses made in Japan. Korea, Taiwan and China make superb stuff these days as is evidenced by Samsung, Kia and other manufacturers.
I'll have to "agree to disagree" with your last bit. I don't think I'm "...going up a blind alley by looking purely at lens made in Japan". I think most other people (Nikkor fans aside) given the choice would opt for things "made in Japan". I mean would you buy a Kia or a Toyota? Hyundai over a Lexus? Hmmmm... ?

Any how...as I said...if I do go with Nikon and start buying lens I'll just make sure they ARE "made in Japan". Just because it gives me a peace of mind. Which isn't to say lens made in China or elsewhere wouldn't be up to a certain standard and you couldn't be happy with it. If knowing that fact is inconsequential to you then so be it. Enjoy your "made in China" lens.

"To each his/her own" I always say.

Thanks for your comments. And thank you to all that have added their 2 cents. Time for me to bow out of this thread. As I think my questions have been answered. Happy shooting!!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:27 PM   #18

I also have many older nikon lenseswhat designates an amatur lens* or professional lenswhat are the differencesplease reply
papadoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:02 PM   #19

I suggest you read the whole thread papadoc. You'll find the answer higher up