Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:15 AM   #1

Hello guys,

For some of you this question might not be important. But I am curious. Is there a website that will tell me where each and ever Nikkor lens was made? I noticed that some are made in Taiwan, China and Japan.

Where are the VR series lens made?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:05 AM   #2
rey

From what I've read, a lot of the high end lenses are still made in Japan, the budget stuff are made in Thailand.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

And some of them, like the 50mm f/1.8D,are made in China.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:53 AM   #4

some are even made in germany
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:55 AM   #5

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
really? which one(s)?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:44 AM   #6

rey wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read, a lot of the high end lenses are still made in Japan, the budget stuff are made in Thailand.
Hey rey,

So by "hi-end" I take that to include the DX and VR series lens.

I also did some more digging after I posted this thread last night. I found out that most agree that the only way for us to find out where the Nikkor lens are made is through a reference book. Though, I would have thought, that there should still be some website with the same information. So, if any one knows where to go please post.

I did notice a 50mm lens mounted to a D2X in one of the pictures for a review on that camera at http://www.dpreview.com. Or I think it's a 50mm prime lens.

Any ways, what I don't get is why Nikon is doing this. I mean besides for cost cutting reasons. Having their lens assembled/made in so many places. From China to Thailand to Germany to Japan. Canon, has all their gear made in Japan. Why can't Nikon do this? I'm sure Nikon owners would pay the extra cost knowing the lens were made in Japan over China.

Which isn't to say that you couldn't still get a good lens made some place outside of Japan. I personally am just a bit biased against products NOT made in Japan (e.g. camera gear). As the quality control standards aren't yet proven to be close to the standards set in Japan. But that's just me.

That and it does bother me a little that Nikon just uses stickers to say where the lens are manufactured. Which I think is a big cheap and opens the door for knock-offs. How easy would it be to just print off some tiny stickers. Canon, has the "made in Japan" information etched into the steel of the lens in the front and I'm guessing also on the side. Painted white.

Seems Canon has a higher degree of fit/finish than Nikon these days.

My 2 cents...
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:05 AM   #7
rey

I kinda agree. I like electronics that are made in Japan also, but on the other hand, the 50mm's primes are made in China and there's a consensus that it's one of the best lens Nikon has ever made. I think most bodies are now made in Thailand.

At least the lenses are actually made by Nikon. Unlike those "Carl Zeiss" markings on some cameras that's pure marketing gimmick.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:43 AM   #8

rey wrote:
Quote:
I kinda agree. I like electronics that are made in Japan also, but on the other hand, the 50mm's primes are made in China and there's a consensus that it's one of the best lens Nikon has ever made. I think most bodies are now made in Thailand.

At least the lenses are actually made by Nikon. Unlike those "Carl Zeiss" markings on some cameras that's pure marketing gimmick.
Hello rey,

Well, it's just a personal bias as I said. But yes...it doesn't mean good lens can't still come out of China. As I'd hope Nikon would have setup up a pretty good quality assurance team in China to make sure lens that are produced are up to their standards. It just doesn't sit well with me knowing it was made in China.

Yes, pretty much all of Nikon's DSLR's are made in Thailand. The only one that wasn't was the D2X. That was the only one still made in Japan. And I'm assuming the new D2Xs will also be made in Japan. Could be wrong.

Seems Nikon IS opting to only manufacture their hi-end products still in Japan. As you suggested. Interesting approach.

And I do have a Sony DSC-H1. Which didn't have the Carl-Zeiss marking on the lens. Yet, the picture quality from that camera has been very nice! Not sure what kind of lens it really is. Sony's own? Shrug...The new H2/H5 do have the "Carl-Zeiss" marking. Whether this just means Sony has the Carl-Zeiss design or if it is truly a Carl-Zeiss lens is any one's guess. I heard the talk.

In any event, I'd still hope to find a website that will tell me which Nikkor lens were manufactured where. Still looking. For my own curiosity.

Have a good weekend!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:23 AM   #9

ow nevermind, i saw it on old lenses (nikkor Q and P, they had a factory in germany for europe)

zygh wrote:
Quote:
chris89 wrote:
Quote:
really? which one(s)?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:26 PM   #10

Actually, that's not true. All the DX designation means is that it's a lens that's made for the reduced image-circle of a DSLR as opposed to a Film SLR.

As far as VR, Nikon has two consumer-range lenses that include VR (the 24-120 and the 18-200), while many of its high-end lenses do not have VR. You can tell the high-end lenses by the gold-line on the lens (also, the price and the constant aperture on a zoom).

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hey rey,

So by "hi-end" I take that to include the DX and VR series lens.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote